• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Support

Started by Maher, June 26, 2011, 07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Fuj on March 12, 2015, 03:50 AM
If a copy of Windows is untouched, "does it work or not?" is a question you don't need to ask.

You're correct. There are also "touched" versions that will work. If that's the case nothing else matters.

Quote from: Fuj on March 12, 2015, 03:50 AM
Why do you think it would be a good idea for an OS to come without a basic text editor preinstalled? 90% will never use an alternative, and that I think is a conservative estimate. What is your problem with Notepad anyway? It's a small standalone exe, affecting the OS in no way (unlike IE and WMP). It's not hurting anything and it's not preventing you from using an alternative.

Notepad is an extreme example. In fact, as you correctly state, if it came as a voluntary addon many people would select it. My point is they add on all all this stuff the OS doesn't need in as opposed giving us the opportunity to download only what we use.

I guess if I were M$, I'd remind myself that a plain OS is no good for n00bs - they probably don't know how to download anything and want everything to work out of the box. And of course, n00bs pay for Windows, we don't. :)

humbert

Back to Rufus for a second - sadly it's not as perfect as I thought. Just right now and using the latest version, I tried to burn to USB a bootable copy of Acronis (no big deal) and I got this error message:

"This version of Rufus only supports bootable ISO's based on bootmgr/WinPE, Isolinux or EFI - this ISO doesn't appear to use either.."

Back to looking for a program that supports this ISO.

Vasudev

Try HBCD it does have  Acronis Disk Wiper & Imaging SW built into it.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on March 13, 2015, 04:51 PM
Try HBCD it does have  Acronis Disk Wiper & Imaging SW built into it.

That's not the point. The point is Rufus couldn't "burn" the bootable ISO to a flashdrive. This mean Rufus is not a "one size fits" all program and we're back to finding something that supports this ISO.

I might add I already have a previous incarnation of Acronis burned to a flashdrive and working. I used Xboot.

Now that you mention HBCD, always use the Proteus version. It has a lot more stuff than the regular one.

FrostyWinnipeg

Quote from: humbert on March 13, 2015, 05:10 AM
Back to looking for a program that supports this ISO.

Well is not the problem the install.wim file is >4GB? UEFI/BIOS only supports FAT32 so unless you or ISO maker splits the install.wim file then you out of luck. I've seen someone suggest taking out the install.wim and putting it separately on an NTFS USB stick. Plug in when asked.

First time poster by the way. Hello from Canada!

What updates are exactly added? I used the Jan x64 file and there were 130 updates including IE11. You know I don't think I ever seen IE11 installed in the years I've used a maherz 7 iso.

humbert

Quote from: usmangujjar on March 15, 2015, 08:21 AM
@humbert- which ISO you are trying to insert on the USB stick? why not you still tried WinSetupFromUSB?

I refer to Acronis Backup Advanced v11.5.43916. The file is a bootable ISO. Other Acronis backup ISO's I have were burned to USB with Xboot.

didy

all links for download -  are dead :(
for 64bit

Vasudev

@Scarface-> When i deleted deleted backup & other useless files present in winsxs using winreducer, it magically re-appears during installing windows. How is it possible?

scarface

These folders will reappear because they are used to store some files. But they are not necessary in the iso. Besides, the files deleted wont appear.

Vasudev

Thanks. I thought that files were reappearing because of some bug in win reducer.