• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Support

Started by Maher, June 26, 2011, 07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

to florin: if you have a bios compatible with usb3, check this: http://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=1169.msg15029#msg15029
Since win7 has no native drivers for usb3 the usb controller must be switched to usb2.

shhnedo

Also, the usb must be FAT32 formated in order for the UEFI bios to detect it.

Florin

Quote from: shhnedo on April 14, 2015, 12:25 AM
My bootable USB stick prepared to install maher's win7x64 kit was formated as NTFS. So it's a problem of FAT TYPE rather than a maximum USB stick CAPACITY seen by BIOS to be recognized and boot from it?

Quote from: scarface on April 14, 2015, 12:17 AM
to florin: if you have a bios compatible with usb3, check this: http://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=1169.msg15029#msg15029
Since win7 has no native drivers for usb3 the usb controller must be switched to usb2.

Yes the board is USB 3.0 compatible but I don't see what drivers are you talking about, needed to BOOT from a USB stick. Also the link provided is not related to my question.

scarface

The link is related to the question since Ive had a similar problem and in the message I'm talking about shifting to usb2 controller in the bios.

Florin

Quote from: shhnedo on April 14, 2015, 12:25 AM

The win7x64 image is NTFS, so I can't create a bootable USB stick as FAT32...
ISO image is 4.43 GB.

scarface

QuoteThe win7x64 image is NTFS, so I can't create a bootable USB stick as FAT32...
It's like saying you have Pastis in you glass so you cant add syrup...your image is not NTFS, a partition is.
Download a tool to do it for you, like rufus...
In the meantime I have to leave.

humbert

Quote from: Florin on April 13, 2015, 11:34 PM
I created a bootable USB for Win 7 x64 kit on my 32 GB USB 2.0 stick. The BIOS (UEFI) of the ASROCK H81M-VG4b doesn't see it. Will I have more success with a 8GB USB stick? Or am I doomed to use a double layer DVD?

I checked the specs on your mobo. When you disabled Secure Boot (aasuming you did this), did you also enable CSM (Compatibility Support Module)? I know this because I had this problem when trying to boot my new lappie from USB. This none of this is documented, just for the heck of it I enabled CSM without knowing what it was, and that solved the problem.

Normally this is set to disabled to purposely prevent what you're trying to do. It's "security", MS is trying to "protect" you.

Florin

I didn't look in Security section of BIOS, knowing it's only related to setting a password to restrict access to BIOS settings. As for Secure Boot option, I didn't touch it, I don't even know if it is enabled or not. The manual only says "Enable to support Windows 8 Secure Boot."

As for the Compatibility Support Module option, didn't touch it either, it was enabled. You see, the PC is not mine, it was bought by a friend and it came with Ubuntu on it. I was asked to install Win 7 64 bit instead of Ubuntu, so I thought... OK, I will create a bootable USB from maher's kit using my trusty Patriot 32 GB USB stick, since a DVD is too small for it. I did it using imageUSB by PassMark Software just to fail miserably since my USB stick was not even seen by BIOS. When I tried another USB stick (2 GB) it was seen immediately. Both my USB sticks are USB2.0.

So the question in my mind is: my 32 GB USB was not seen at boot because of some maximum capacity limit? Or it rather has to do with the format type of the stick (FAT32 vs NTFS)? I formatted my 32 GB stick as FAT32, but when I used Rufus and pointed to maker's ISO image, the file system was changed from FAT32 to NTFS...

So I am totally confused. If you add to that the reply I get from scarface about USB3, although I use a USB2 device in a USB2 port... it's twilight zone...

shhnedo

Quote from: Florin on April 14, 2015, 03:51 AM
I didn't look in Security section of BIOS, knowing it's only related to setting a password to restrict access to BIOS settings. As for Secure Boot option, I didn't touch it, I don't even know if it is enabled or not. The manual only says "Enable to support Windows 8 Secure Boot."

As for the Compatibility Support Module option, didn't touch it either, it was enabled. You see, the PC is not mine, it was bought by a friend and it came with Ubuntu on it. I was asked to install Win 7 64 bit instead of Ubuntu, so I thought... OK, I will create a bootable USB from maher's kit using my trusty Patriot 32 GB USB stick, since a DVD is too small for it. I did it using imageUSB by PassMark Software just to fail miserably since my USB stick was not even seen by BIOS. When I tried another USB stick (2 GB) it was seen immediately. Both my USB sticks are USB2.0.

So the question in my mind is: my 32 GB USB was not seen at boot because of some maximum capacity limit? Or it rather has to do with the format type of the stick (FAT32 vs NTFS)? I formatted my 32 GB stick as FAT32, but when I used Rufus and pointed to maker's ISO image, the file system was changed from FAT32 to NTFS...

So I am totally confused. If you add to that the reply I get from scarface about USB3, although I use a USB2 device in a USB2 port... it's twilight zone...

Almost everything you mentioned is irrelevant.
First of all, there is no such thing as "maximum capacity limit"!
Second, it doesn't matter if your USB stick is USB1, USB2 or USB3. The only thing that matters here is the version of THE PORT ITSELF! I'll explain why: USB3 is somewhat new and it wasn't out when windows 7 was released, therefor windows 7 installer WILL NOT detect your hard drive(s) once you boot it THROUGH A USB3 port! The installer simply doesn't know how to communicate with the motherboard through a USB3 interface. If you want to install windows through a USB3 port, then you'll have to make a USB stick with windows 8/8.1/10. I've already installed 8.1 through USB3 a couple of times and it installs really fast if your stick is also USB3 compliant.
Third, the motherboard you're using is UEFI certified and has a fully enabled UEFI bios. You've probably noticed you can use a mouse in the bios, because it has a graphical UI. Now, having a UEFI bios, you will be booting in UEFI mode, which means you're limited to FAT32 formated bootable media. In other words, UEFI WILL NOT DETECT NTFS formated media, be it USB3/4/5/10/200. You're stuck with UEFI. If you want to boot from an NTFS formated media you'll need to use legacy boot, wich in turn throws you back to MBR(instead of UEFI's GPT), and that in turn limits you to 2TB hard drives(I think).
Now to the problem at hand: windows 7 x64 does support UEFI and a GPT partition table. The problem is the size of the iso. More specifically, the size of the install.wim inside it. You can only cram in so much updates in it before it goes over 4GB(which is a FAT32 limitation per file). Now, Maher's iso is obviously exceding FAT32 limits because of the install.wim file. This can be easily fixed if Maher starts splitting the install.wim file into multiple install.swm files(instal.swm, install2.swm, installx.swm, etc). If he manages to do that, you can easily use Rufus to create a FAT32 bootable usb(GPT compatible) and boot from it. Problem is I don't know if Maher is willing to split the .wim file or not, tho it would be to his advantage.
VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Only windows 7 x64, windows 8/8.1, 10 and newer support UEFI booting. Win 7 x86 DOES NOT SUPPORT IT. You can boot from it but you'll simply get some funky error saying there's no installation media or something, essentially being unable to install 7 x86 on a UEFI enabled PC.

All in all, if you want to install Maher's 7 x64 on your PC, you'll need to split the .wim file into smaller .swm files, make a FAT32 bootable USB stick and simply copy the files from Maher's ISO onto that stick(this time with the .swm files instead of the larger .wim file).

Vasudev

Florin-> If you're familiar with Hiren's Boot CD (or HBCD), boot into mini xp and use NT 6.x fast installer. If you're interested please tell me.