• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Support

Started by Maher, June 26, 2011, 07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shhnedo

Quote from: Fuj on April 15, 2015, 09:10 PMAnyway, .swm only works for Win7, not Win8, it creates problems with some usb creation tools and it shouldn't even be necessary anymore - Rufus v2 provides an EFI NTFS driver that should be the solution (another piece of info I've been sharing pointlessly).
I've been using 8.1 AIO iso's which use .swm for the 64-bit images and it works quite nicely every time I create a bootable USB with the monthly image releases. There's one out right now and i'm planning on downloading it since i haven't done one since Dec2014. Perfect UEFI bootable USBs with those images. The problem comes when I try to make an x86-x64 AIO from both images: merge the x64 swm's, merge the two wim's, split the new wim into smaller swms. For some reason, when I create the USB with Rufus, it doesn't show up in the uefi boot menu.
About the UEFI NTFS booting using Rufus, i'm yet to succeed.

scarface

I checked the specs of Florin's card too...probably this one? http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H81M-VG4/
If it's this one, it has usb 3 ports indeed. As previously said, windows 7 wont boot on usb 3 ports. To know if it's a problem of compatibility with ports, you can still try to do a key with win8. If it does boot, you know where the problem comes from.
(Once the setup is launched, you can still try to put a key with win7 by the way).

humbert

@Florin - Why not forget about Windows 7 and use Maher's Windows 8.1 ISO instead? That what I have and it works great. You have a very recent motherboard, it makes sense not to use a 5 year old OS. Trust me, W8.1 is much better.

@shhnedo - on my system I have secure boot disabled and CSM enabled. After I installed the OS with the HD formatted to MBR, I successfully the drive to GPT with AOMEI partition assistant. It works great.

shhnedo

HOLY SH*T!! Fuj, I almost made it!! I used the last 8.1 AIO x64 iso to create a bootable USB with GPT scheme using NTFS(Rufus 2.1 ofc). It worked flawlessly up untill the point where for some reason the bios told me the usb doesn't comply with the security policy(looking at you, Secure Boot). Otherwise, the usb gets created successfully with rufus, it's detected under UEFI when I open the boot menu. Now I'll be searching for a way to mod the damn bios image and reflash it so I can disable the friggin' secure boot crrap. I feel like that's the only thing stopping me from booting whatever I want. Wish me luck. If it works, Maher's 7 x64 has a chance of seing UEFI.
=====================================================================
EDIT: I'm taking back all the bad things I've said about Acer and probably every other manufacturer! Here's why:
I found out that I actually have to set a "supervisor password" in the bios, before I could disable Secure Boot. Now that I've done that, I disabled the bastard, booted up the UEFI NTFS USB and the magic happened - Windows Setup started. I got to the point where you have to choose a partition(or repartition your drive) and setup denied every partition(because they are still MBR partitions). That's it. I'm happy. I'll no longer struggle with flippin' FAT32. Google helped a lot! DON'T SAY GOOGLE DOESN'T HELP!

warlordsvg

Hi....

Is there a torrent file link for this copy of windows 7 ?

Please let me know....

thanks in advance.....

shhnedo

Not on this website. Maher doesn't allow torrents here, and the copies up on the popular torrent sites are all modified by some random group or person and uploaded with unknown .iso content/tweaks.

humbert

@shhnedo - It doesn't suprise me your negative experience with secure boot happened on an Acer. I have had nothing but problems with that manufacturer and I would never buy any of their products at any price. My Asus had no such restriction.

I believe the best way to go is to disable secure boot, enable CSM, install and then convert the drive to GPT with AOMEI. The now-GPT partition works perfectly on your UEFI Bios regardless of these settings.

nozbleed

Files are not available anymore in Uploadednet & Rapidgator

Maher

Quote from: nozbleed on April 22, 2015, 12:42 PM
All links updated ;)
Please, DO NOT send messages for support! Ask on the forums. Thank you.

http://maherz.softarchive.net/

nozbleed

Quote from: Maher on April 22, 2015, 01:27 PM
Quote from: nozbleed on April 22, 2015, 12:42 PM
All links updated ;)

Thanks Maher!  ;)