• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Support

Started by Maher, June 26, 2011, 07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Quote from: capaj on October 27, 2015, 09:17 PM
When will we get windows 7 ultimate new version from maherz????
You've posted a difficult question there's no definite ETA.

humbert

Quote from: capaj on October 27, 2015, 09:17 PM
When will we get windows 7 ultimate new version from maherz????

Can't you just grab any version and update with Windows Updates?

ecchi

Sorry if it's not allowed to ask. Does anyone have a mirror for the latest 64bit version? The links on the first post are dead.

And is Windows 7 still a recommended OS? I'm actually still using XP which I got from here a couple of years ago. Don't really want to update but new games I'm interested in doesn't support XP anymore.

Vasudev

Quote from: ecchi on November 01, 2015, 05:09 AM
Sorry if it's not allowed to ask. Does anyone have a mirror for the latest 64bit version? The links on the first post are dead.

And is Windows 7 still a recommended OS? I'm actually still using XP which I got from here a couple of years ago. Don't really want to update but new games I'm interested in doesn't support XP anymore.
Install 7/8.1 and possibly next make a free upgrade to win 10.

helldesign

Ok, since I don't have Dual layer DVD, I'm not able to write (on a normal DVD) the newest release of Maher's Windows 7 with April updates.

If I download the older version "Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (x64) Integrated November 2012-Maherz", can I update it to the latest one after installation?
That one is very old and I worry if it would cause me problems with drivers etc. because my system is brand new...

Vasudev

Quote from: helldesign on November 06, 2015, 02:54 AM
Ok, since I don't have Dual layer DVD, I'm not able to write (on a normal DVD) the newest release of Maher's Windows 7 with April updates.

If I download the older version "Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (x64) Integrated November 2012-Maherz", can I update it to the latest one after installation?
That one is very old and I worry if it would cause me problems with drivers etc. because my system is brand new...

You can do it, however download april edition burn it to flash drive or else you can check in the same section and click on the thread named "Installing Windows through NTSetup". If its brand new go with win 10 or win 8.1 which will give best drivers designed for your PC than installing crippled drivers for w7.

humbert

Who still boots from DVD's any more? Booting from USB has been the norm for quite a while now. My laptop has a DVD drive which I have never used, and I don't remember the last time I used my desktop's DVD drive.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on November 07, 2015, 09:49 PM

Who still boots from DVD's any more? Booting from USB has been the norm for quite a while now. My laptop has a DVD drive which I have never used, and I don't remember the last time I used my desktop's DVD drive.
After your advice, USB install is faster than DVD.

harkaz

@scarface I may have found a *safe* way to clean the winsxs folder. May be useful for your Win7Lite installs.

The point is:

- Always keep the 6.1.7601.17514 (SP1-base) version of the updated components.
- Do not touch components that have been not updated (6.1.7600.16385/6.1.7601.17514 in 99% of cases)
- Find the active version of the updated components
- Keep the base and active versions, delete folders of other component versions.
- Check the Manifest and Backup folders for redundant file versions (usually they're the latest).

To determine the active version, use the version located at the "Default" value of the hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\sidebyside\winners\[component_name]\6.1 keys. Delete all version values under those keys except for the base version and the active version.
You need to edit the registry offline.

Contact me for more details if you have questions/need an example.

scarface

QuoteI may have found a *safe* way to clean the winsxs folder
Interesting. I was wondering what files could be removed. I guess the active files are the copies in system32/syswow64.
But what about the updated files in winsxs? you say:
QuoteDelete all version values under those keys except for the base version and the active version.
An example with shell32.dll: do you confirm we have to keep 17514/18918 (didnt check if this is really the active one)+the version above 18918?