Windows 11

Started by Shadow.97, June 17, 2021, 01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on April 15, 2022, 03:34 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on March 26, 2022, 08:24 PMUpload complete. Win 11 links shared via PM. Thanks to Humbert, Shadow97 and scarface.

I have to agree with Scarface. I don't recall seeing the link. Please resend.

Did you disable TPM and secure boot? Also, did you remove the unwanted bloat M$ installs? I think this is the best approach. For those who want any of that, it's easily available on the Windows Store.

Scarface: With respect to the bugs you reported, I haven't run into any yet. Despite that, your post doesn't surprise me at all. New stuff is ALWAYS buggy. I still believe it's way too early to go full steam with W11. Much more testing and bug fixing need to be done.
I didn't notice it because I shared entire Win 11 folder. TPM and SB checks were disabled and also unwanted UWP apps have been removed and size reduction was around 800MB on both Home and Pro.
EDIT: Check PM with title "Win 11 ISO Link"

humbert

How do you download from MEGA? I opened a non-incognito version of Iron Browser (Chrome clone without tracking) and it says "download complete". The file is nowhere to be found.

I should mention MEGA has very slow download speeds. Maybe it's because I'm not paying.

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on April 20, 2022, 03:28 AMHow do you download from MEGA? I opened a non-incognito version of Iron Browser (Chrome clone without tracking) and it says "download complete". The file is nowhere to be found.

I should mention MEGA has very slow download speeds. Maybe it's because I'm not paying.
When we say slow, how slow are you referring to?
I used to get faster back in the days on Mega, maxing out my connection. But currently getting 5.0MB/s +-0.1
Generally speaking I peak 13.0MB/s.

My understanding is that it downloads it to your cache first and decrypts, then triggers a local download from your own cache that is instantly completed. They do it to avoid being sued for storing copyrighted materials if i recall correctly.

I'm a firefox user.

Vasudev

Quote from: Shadow.97 on April 20, 2022, 01:28 PM
Quote from: humbert on April 20, 2022, 03:28 AMHow do you download from MEGA? I opened a non-incognito version of Iron Browser (Chrome clone without tracking) and it says "download complete". The file is nowhere to be found.

When we say slow, how slow are you referring to?
I used to get faster back in the days on Mega, maxing out my connection. But currently getting 5.0MB/s +-0.1
Generally speaking I peak 13.0MB/s.

My understanding is that it downloads it to your cache first and decrypts, then triggers a local download from your own cache that is instantly completed. They do it to avoid being sued for storing copyrighted materials if i recall correctly.

I'm a firefox user.
Smaller files can be downloaded through browser but larger sized downloads are off downloaded using megasync.
@humbert There is a throttle quota of 1GB or 2GB download size every 6hrs on free plan.

humbert

I didn't measure the MEGA download speed, but I do recall that each 700 MB took 3-4 minutes. MEGA's software will not allow you to use IDM. I have Google Fiber with gives me 1gbps up and down. If there had been no throttling and IDM would have taken over the download, we'd be talking maybe 15 seconds.

I use both Firefox and the Iron browser. This is a carbon copy of Google Chrome without the tracking. There are some sites that prefer Firefox and others that prefer Iron (or Chrome). MEGA is a good example. I couldn't download with Firefox, and with Iron only with the incognito mode disabled. In both cases I did not install their addon. I'm assuming this is what MEGA wants you to do.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on April 23, 2022, 04:02 AMI didn't measure the MEGA download speed, but I do recall that each 700 MB took 3-4 minutes. MEGA's software will not allow you to use IDM. I have Google Fiber with gives me 1gbps up and down. If there had been no throttling and IDM would have taken over the download, we'd be talking maybe 15 seconds.

I use both Firefox and the Iron browser. This is a carbon copy of Google Chrome without the tracking. There are some sites that prefer Firefox and others that prefer Iron (or Chrome). MEGA is a good example. I couldn't download with Firefox, and with Iron only with the incognito mode disabled. In both cases I did not install their addon. I'm assuming this is what MEGA wants you to do.
Firefox is slow esp. with huge files on mega.nz and chrome has better storage speed and handle huge files at the expense of RAM and CPU.

scarface

humbert

Has anyone actually did a full-fledged upgrade to Windows 11, or are we all still in the testing stage? I haven't upgraded because as of this writing there's still not enough support. If there's a program knows as "Windows 11 Privacy" (or similar) I've yet to see it. As I said before, on VirtualBox it runs great and even boots up almost immediately.

As is typical of M$, they've already said that in order to upgrade to Alder Lake (Intel's latest as of this writing) you must use W11. This is, of course, barring some 3rd party drivers that can take full advantage of Alder Lake on W10 or less.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on May 03, 2022, 02:39 AMHas anyone actually did a full-fledged upgrade to Windows 11, or are we all still in the testing stage? I haven't upgraded because as of this writing there's still not enough support. If there's a program knows as "Windows 11 Privacy" (or similar) I've yet to see it. As I said before, on VirtualBox it runs great and even boots up almost immediately.

As is typical of M$, they've already said that in order to upgrade to Alder Lake (Intel's latest as of this writing) you must use W11. This is, of course, barring some 3rd party drivers that can take full advantage of Alder Lake on W10 or less.
Yes, I used my W10 regedits on Win 11 and couple of new things specific to Win 11.
For ADL or newer Ryzen's you need Win 11 to take full advantage.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on May 03, 2022, 05:18 PMYes, I used my W10 regedits on Win 11 and couple of new things specific to Win 11.
For ADL or newer Ryzen's you need Win 11 to take full advantage.

It's always the same story -- sooner or later we will have no choice but to upgrade. It's just that now is not the time. Let's wait for newer hacks and other stuff.