• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 11

Started by Shadow.97, June 17, 2021, 03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow.97

As Windows 11 is confirmed to be a legit leak by many sources, and early builds already leaked to the public.

Do you see a reason to upgrade?
Do you like the visual changes?

Personally, I think it looks really good. My early understanding is that they are trying to actually tie things up with the integration to other devices, and make it a proper 'gaming' OS as well.
You can move the task bar to the furthest left as it's always been.

https://hexus.net/tech/news/software/147965-windows-11-leaks-iso-image-videos-screenshots-sounds/

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on June 17, 2021, 03:13 AM
As Windows 11 is confirmed to be a legit leak by many sources, and early builds already leaked to the public.

I read about it yesterday. The release date is June 24th. Naturally M$ always "leaks" it to the public so everyone get a feel of it before the release date. They've been using this strategy since time immemorial and it works.

I saw some cosmetic changes and a few more [probably unnecessary] bells and whistles. I don't think it's anything out of this world.

With respect to me upgrading, I'll wait for Vasudev to work his magic and produce a working copy of Windows 11. Relax and be patient, I'm in no hurry.  :)

Vasudev

I don't think Win 11 is ready for prime-time and its only a preview version.
Before 21H1 Win 10 is EOL I will release new W11 alongside scarface.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on June 22, 2021, 05:25 PM

I'm in no hurry. I'll only install a working and texted copy coming from a trusted source like you.

Ever since I installed 21H1, Control Panels opens but there are no items in it. I tried enabling and disabling the proper settings on Group Policy Editor. I've also re-registered all DLL files in C:\Windows\System. The problem doesn't go away. The weird thing is that on my laptop was also upgraded to 21H1, Control Panel works perfectly. I'm not finding anything on Google. Any ideas?

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on June 23, 2021, 05:21 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on June 22, 2021, 05:25 PM

I'm in no hurry. I'll only install a working and texted copy coming from a trusted source like you.

Ever since I installed 21H1, Control Panels opens but there are no items in it. I tried enabling and disabling the proper settings on Group Policy Editor. I've also re-registered all DLL files in C:\Windows\System. The problem doesn't go away. The weird thing is that on my laptop was also upgraded to 21H1, Control Panel works perfectly. I'm not finding anything on Google. Any ideas?

I would try the classic (in cmd):
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

and (in cmd)
sfc /scannow

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

At work, those commands do magic.

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on June 24, 2021, 05:00 PM
and (in cmd)
sfc /scannow

The DISM command reported no anomalies. sfc /scannow found some corrupt files and fixed them. When opening control panel I still see an empty box with no icons in it. We all know this is some setting somewhere, the problem is finding it.
Oh well... the search continues.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on June 25, 2021, 04:42 AM
and (in cmd)
sfc /scannow

The DISM command reported no anomalies. sfc /scannow found some corrupt files and fixed them. When opening control panel I still see an empty box with no icons in it. We all know this is some setting somewhere, the problem is finding it.
Is there any image hijackers or apps that gives shortcut to control panel items?
For Win 7 I always use scarface's build since its much better and has lower size. Mine usually crosses 8GB and FAT32 USB drive won't boot in UEFI mode. After Ventoy was released ISO size became a thing of the past but some people use Rufus and 8GB ISO for Win 7 is nightmare on some older machines with slower USB 2.0 and HDD 5400rpm.
Win 11 will kill support for my old laptop since TPM 2.0 is unavailable on Ivybridge laptop. I think they are supported only modern CPUs Skylake, Ryzen and Qualcomm Snapdragon.

Shadow.97

Quote from: Vasudev on June 25, 2021, 10:02 PM
Quote from: humbert on June 25, 2021, 04:42 AM
and (in cmd)
sfc /scannow

Is there any image hijackers or apps that gives shortcut to control panel items?
For Win 7 I always use scarface's build since its much better and has lower size. Mine usually crosses 8GB and FAT32 USB drive won't boot in UEFI mode. After Ventoy was released ISO size became a thing of the past but some people use Rufus and 8GB ISO for Win 7 is nightmare on some older machines with slower USB 2.0 and HDD 5400rpm.
Win 11 will kill support for my old laptop since TPM 2.0 is unavailable on Ivybridge laptop. I think they are supported only modern CPUs Skylake, Ryzen and Qualcomm Snapdragon.

If you mean this, yes
https://community.windows.com/en-us/conversations/godmode-shortcut-east-access-to-all-windows-settings/ca66bf1c-66a6-4380-9513-3eb7068e912b?from=search

You can also find links to specific items in the control panel thru some googling. The links to them are created the same way as in this tutorial

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on June 26, 2021, 01:16 AM
https://community.windows.com/en-us/conversations/godmode-shortcut-east-access-to-all-windows-settings/ca66bf1c-66a6-4380-9513-3eb7068e912b?from=search
You can also find links to specific items in the control panel thru some googling. The links to them are created the same way as in this tutorial

Yes, of course. The Godmode shortcut. I forgot all about it. It's OK. I noticed that there somehow there were quite a few .cpl files missing in the Windows/System32 folder. I decided to reinstall 21H2 keeping my files and that appeared to fix the problem. Somehow some important files and setting got deleted. The reinstall brought them all back.

It's a good idea to run sfc /scannow every few days. It always seems to find some corrupt files.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on June 26, 2021, 06:09 AM
Quote from: Shadow.97 on June 26, 2021, 01:16 AM

Yes, of course. The Godmode shortcut. I forgot all about it. It's OK. I noticed that there somehow there were quite a few .cpl files missing in the Windows/System32 folder. I decided to reinstall 21H2 keeping my files and that appeared to fix the problem. Somehow some important files and setting got deleted. The reinstall brought them all back.

It's a good idea to run sfc /scannow every few days. It always seems to find some corrupt files.
Yes shadow97 and humbert sometimes those .cpl shortcuts cause issues.
Check SSD health or run chkdsk /f /x c: Files missing isn't a good sign.

EDIT: Looks like Win 11 will not run on skylake/kabylake and also first gen Ryzen CPUs. So I don't think I will be able to release custom Win 11 ISOs but will continue with Win 10 ISO.