• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 11

Started by Shadow.97, June 17, 2021, 03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vasudev

Quote from: Shadow.97 on November 20, 2022, 08:33 PM
Quote from: humbert on November 20, 2022, 04:49 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on November 19, 2022, 07:37 PMYou could configure in adv. section or tweaks section for express un-attended installs. They released new version yesterday. https://www.techpowerup.com/nvcleanstall/

In the Nvcleanstall link I'm not seeing any option for unattended install. You select what you want and Nvcleanstall does the rest.

Unless I did something wrong I couldn't install the Nvidia software with Nvcleanstall. For starters it didn't download the driver. When I downloaded it myself and pointed to it, it just froze up. I'm thinking it'll work OK for my old card (GTX-970) but not for the new one (RTX-3060).
For laptops it is(was?) generally recommended to use the manufacturers graphics drivers, I had priority alienware support back in the day due to all the issues mine had.
They gave a thorough explanation which could be summarised as them making changes to powerplans, and specific driver changes for stability.
But he also said that it should be fine to use Nvidias own and such, but Dell support will have very limited ability to ensure stability if not using manufacturers drivers due to less amount of people reporting such issues to Dell. And not updating/uploading all the newest drivers was a way to be able to first validate inhouse before releasing the driver publicly on their site. Which unfortunately leads to some devices not having manufacturer updated drivers for a long time.
If laptop would be sent in, they would also not troubleshoot further until they had the officially recommended driver.

Yeah currently most vendors have started adding customised version of nvidia/amd/intel arc drivers. You will see release notes/changelog in nvidia generic driver saying added MSI/Asus black screen of death while installing. Those customised power plans/profiles are a mess and ruined my windows 10 experience on every upgrade.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on November 24, 2022, 04:44 PMYeah currently most vendors have started adding customised version of nvidia/amd/intel arc drivers. You will see release notes/changelog in nvidia generic driver saying added MSI/Asus black screen of death while installing. Those customised power plans/profiles are a mess and ruined my windows 10 experience on every upgrade.

I downloaded all video drivers from MSI's web site. That's what I'll use. What I fail to understand is why there are 2 drivers: Intel and Nvidia. Isn't 1 enough?

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on November 25, 2022, 05:05 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on November 24, 2022, 04:44 PMYeah currently most vendors have started adding customised version of nvidia/amd/intel arc drivers. You will see release notes/changelog in nvidia generic driver saying added MSI/Asus black screen of death while installing. Those customised power plans/profiles are a mess and ruined my windows 10 experience on every upgrade.

I downloaded all video drivers from MSI's web site. That's what I'll use. What I fail to understand is why there are 2 drivers: Intel and Nvidia. Isn't 1 enough?
If you were on Linux I'm pretty sure they use a hybrid driver.
But on Windows, you often use both graphicschips, you can often select which in nvidia preferences. If you notice odd performance it is likely why.
If you rightclick an icon, if i recall correctly there should be a "launch with intel hd" or "launch with nvidia" as a submenu. I dont remember exactly.

By deactivating the nvidia chip in device manager/bios you can often achieve much greater battery life.

For normal webbrowsing I'm fairly certain the nvidia chip doesnt lift a leg.

The double graphicschips working together is also why you often get a black screen if you try to livestream the screen using nvenc, as intel renders the desktop and doesnt send it off to nvenc.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on November 25, 2022, 05:05 AM

Yeah downloading from MSI site is sufficient, if your model has dGPU only mode which can pass A/V over HDMI/USBC/TB4 then you can uninstall intel driver which will remove quick sync video and others. Like Shadow97 said Intel GPU  favors power saving over perf while comparing against nvidia.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on November 25, 2022, 04:29 PMYeah downloading from MSI site is sufficient, if your model has dGPU only mode which can pass A/V over HDMI/USBC/TB4 then you can uninstall intel driver which will remove quick sync video and others. Like Shadow97 said Intel GPU  favors power saving over perf while comparing against nvidia.

I finally started playing around with my new laptop today. I love it! Installing the OS I wanted was much easier than I thought. Go into the BIOS and disable the hated secure boot. Boot from Sergei's ISO, delete the partitions after first making a backup, then boot from a Win11 flashdrive and install. Not only that, but there was no need to install each one of the drivers I downloaded. Windows update did the entire job. Everything on Device Manager works properly, no items with yellow questions marks or any other strange indicators.

Next step is to configure it, clean it up, and slowly reinstall the apps and configure them. And it's so easy to use! I thought I'd never say this, but guys, I actually LIKE Windows 11! It's fast as hell, very stable, and generally easier to use than I previously believed! I'm even thinking of upgrading my desktop to 11. Life is strange, eh?

scarface

Note that a new and better version of windows 11 22H2 will be released on December the 13th.
In the previous version, Windows Defender wasn't deactivated, this time it will be deactivated (it's useless if you are using a third-party antivirus).
Note that the taskbar will now be transparent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq9iMnlOjRY

humbert

Quote from: scarface on November 26, 2022, 03:00 PMNote that a new and better version of windows 11 22H2 will be released on December the 13th.
In the previous version, Windows Defender wasn't deactivated, this time it will be deactivated (it's useless if you are using a third-party antivirus).

Good! I can hardly wait. Windows Defender is a true pest. It fiercely goes after any patch or anything that'll modify the system while at the same time ignoring real malware. Its job is to protect and defend Microsoft and its telemetry. When I ran Windows 10 Privacy and Sordum Defender Control, it went after them like a hungry lion. Disabling it is difficult but not impossible.

Another bug the OS has is that the start menu won't automatically update. If you create a shortcut and put it in the same folder where the rest of the shortcuts reside, it won't see it. I googled it and they offer some solutions, including restarting Explorer.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on November 26, 2022, 07:05 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on November 25, 2022, 04:29 PMYeah downloading from MSI site is sufficient, if your model has dGPU only mode which can pass A/V over HDMI/USBC/TB4 then you can uninstall intel driver which will remove quick sync video and others. Like Shadow97 said Intel GPU  favors power saving over perf while comparing against nvidia.

I finally started playing around with my new laptop today. I love it! Installing the OS I wanted was much easier than I thought. Go into the BIOS and disable the hated secure boot. Boot from Sergei's ISO, delete the partitions after first making a backup, then boot from a Win11 flashdrive and install. Not only that, but there was no need to install each one of the drivers I downloaded. Windows update did the entire job. Everything on Device Manager works properly, no items with yellow questions marks or any other strange indicators.

Next step is to configure it, clean it up, and slowly reinstall the apps and configure them. And it's so easy to use! I thought I'd never say this, but guys, I actually LIKE Windows 11! It's fast as hell, very stable, and generally easier to use than I previously believed! I'm even thinking of upgrading my desktop to 11. Life is strange, eh?
In BIOS, disable UEFI capsule update from Windows or something option to prevent windows from updating firmware automatically. Also install audio, TB4/USB4 firmware etc..
Assuming you've bought Intel you can give Counter Control a try! Or you can ThrottleStop and enable Defender Boost which will prevent Defender from slowing down PC due to consistent querying of perf. counters on intel CPUs, it seems 12th gen is unaffected.
Win 11 works better on newer hardware that satisfies the reqmts otherwise I noticed perf. hiccups or slowdowns and buggy experience.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on November 27, 2022, 05:24 PMIn BIOS, disable UEFI capsule update from Windows or something option to prevent windows from updating firmware automatically. Also install audio, TB4/USB4 firmware etc..

I had no idea it was possible to upgrade the motherboard's firmware from Windows update. What I've done in the past is to into the manufacturer's web site, download the file, boot into the BIOS and upgrade with the board's firmware.

TB4 - USB4? Do you mean Thunderbolt? My lappie has it and drivers are installed. Haven't had the time to play around with it just yet. Not all that sure what it does.

Quote from: Vasudev on November 27, 2022, 05:24 PMOr you can ThrottleStop and enable Defender Boost which will prevent Defender from slowing down PC due to consistent querying of perf. counters on intel CPUs, it seems 12th gen is unaffected.

I finally got Defender under control. As you're aware you can disable it in the Group Policy Editor. There's still a pesky notification every now and then, but you can dismiss it.

Quote from: Vasudev on November 27, 2022, 05:24 PMWin 11 works better on newer hardware that satisfies the reqmts otherwise I noticed perf. hiccups or slowdowns and buggy experience.

Exactly why I had to install W11. Pro in my case. At this moment my biggest complaint is that the start menu is essentially broken. I did find some workarounds that make it usable until they fix it. I also decided to leave the start menu icon in the middle of the taskbar. At least for now.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on November 28, 2022, 05:39 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on November 27, 2022, 05:24 PMIn BIOS, disable UEFI capsule update from Windows or something option to prevent windows from updating firmware automatically. Also install audio, TB4/USB4 firmware etc..

Best way to test USB4-TB4 is by connecting your phone via USBC-USBC cable or even USBC-lightning if you're on iphone which should detect as mass storage or something w/o needing drivers or adb drivers. MSFT has stricter rules regarding backwards compatibility with USB 2/3 when connecting a USBC to USB-A OTG adapter or even thumb/flash drive/SSD.