Author Topic: New topic Photos  (Read 190780 times)

May 13, 2021, 07:30 PM
Reply #330
  • Global Moderator
Tonight, some exceptional photos are available on the forum.
They were taken today in Port Camargue.

Here are some beautiful boats, in the marina of Port Camargue.

A sailing catamaran like this costs roughly 600 000 €. I'd be glad to sail with humbert, shadow.97 or aa1234779 if they want to buy such a boat.

For some of you, those palm trees are certainly reminiscent of the lush vegetation of Florida or India.

Here we are in the shipyard.

In the local market of Port Camargue.
On the right there is a boucherie. They are selling some good jambon.

This shop specializes in local cuisine, with dishes based on seafood.

On the right you can see a fromagerie.

Here are some locals playing petanque. This famous game is essentially played across France. I guess humbert, Maher and Vasudev don't know this game.
In pétanque the objective is to score points by having boules closer to the target than the opponent after all boules have been thrown. This is achieved by throwing or rolling boules closer to the small target ball, known colloquially as a cochonnet, or by hitting the opponents' boules away from the target, while standing inside a circle with both feet on the ground. Note that the word cochonnet also means young pig in French.
Oddly enough, the second country with the largest number of members playing pétangue is Thailand.

Here you can see a small beach, with the town of La Grande Motte in the background. I've been coming in Port Camargue and Le grau du roi for more than 30 years now, so I know this place pretty well. I don't really like la Grande Motte though. while Le Grau du roi is still well preserved despite a large number of tourists during summer, the pyramid-shaped buildings and the numerous tourists on the beach are the symbol of mass tourism which triumphed in the 1980s in la Grande Motte. The identity of La Grande-Motte is inspired by the Mayan pyramids and are the result of a titanic project, started in 1965 and which lasted about fifteen years. This concreteization of the Mediterranean coast was orchestrated by the architect Jean Balladur.

May 13, 2021, 09:02 PM
Reply #331
  • Global Moderator
A sailing catamaran like this costs roughly 600 000 €. I'd be glad to sail with humbert, shadow.97 or aa1234779 if they want to buy such a boat.

I looked at Port Carmargue's location on Google Maps. If we did take a sailboat out from there, where would we go? Corsica, Sardinia, Palma, Ibiza or somewhere else? What do we do when we get there? I do know I have to carry large amounts of Dramamine, I get seasick very easily.

May 14, 2021, 11:59 AM
Reply #332
  • Global Moderator

I looked at Port Carmargue's location on Google Maps. If we did take a sailboat out from there, where would we go? Corsica, Sardinia, Palma, Ibiza or somewhere else? What do we do when we get there? I do know I have to carry large amounts of Dramamine, I get seasick very easily.
Actually, it depends on the size of the boat. With a small motor boat, you can only fish off the coast. With a catamaran like this one, you could easily go to Corsica, Naples, or even Greece, assuming you are a good skipper.

May 15, 2021, 12:49 PM
Reply #333
  • Global Moderator
Tonight, I'm going to show you a beautiful fish.
Look at the photo below.
I'm going to let you guess what kind of fish it is. Maybe Maher, shadow.97, aa1234779 or humbert already have the answer.
When I was young, I used to go fishing off the coast of Le Grau du roi with my father and sometimes we could catch fish like this one. They were usually bigger.

May 15, 2021, 09:17 PM
Reply #334
  • Global Moderator
Actually, it depends on the size of the boat. With a small motor boat, you can only fish off the coast. With a catamaran like this one, you could easily go to Corsica, Naples, or even Greece, assuming you are a good skipper.

Have you ever been on this boat or similar on a trip to any of these places you mentioned?

Another thing. Corsica is a French island so it makes sense a boat flying the French tricolor could easily dock there. But what about ports in Italy and Greece? I'd guess the coast guard of those countries would stop the boat and ask for documentation. Right?

May 16, 2021, 09:22 AM
Reply #335
  • Global Moderator

Have you ever been on this boat or similar on a trip to any of these places you mentioned?

Another thing. Corsica is a French island so it makes sense a boat flying the French tricolor could easily dock there. But what about ports in Italy and Greece? I'd guess the coast guard of those countries would stop the boat and ask for documentation. Right?
No, I haven't, and I don't know how to sail a boat. That's why I would need a skipper.
I'd be glad to go to Corsica with you. For a citizen of the EU, an ID card is enough to go to other EU countries. Otherwise, a passport is needed. But you have to know that in Corsica both of US would be considered as foreigners. What's more, I'm afraid you might not like the local dishes. In the evening, facing the sea, you would have to deal with a plate of Corsican charcuterie with a glass of wine. But would you be able to pass the test of the figatellu? You have certainly never seen this in the USA.
Figatellu is a fresh u-shaped sausage made of liver and minced pork meat flavoured with spices, garlic and red wine. Dried and smoked in hardwood, figatellu boasts strong characteristic flavours and a dark, often black colour. Traditionally figatellu is barbecued but may also be pan-fried, cooked in the oven or braised in a sauce with lentils. In classic recipes, it is often accompanied by a Corsican pulenda or the brocciu cheese. Brocciu is prepared from whey (goat's milk) or sheep's milk. Its taste is very sweet. It is mainly consumed, fresh, at the end of a meal.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 09:24 AM by scarface »

May 16, 2021, 01:46 PM
Reply #336
  • Global Moderator
Tonight, new photos are available on the forum.
They were taken in the port of Le Grau du roi today.

May 16, 2021, 10:10 PM
Reply #337
  • Global Moderator
That I would be classified as a foreigner in Corsica makes sense. But you? Isn't this French territory?

With respect to those strange foods you mentioned, I'm pretty much like a garbage disposal, i.e., I eat just about anything. There are only a few items I won't touch, and even then it's possible to disguise the bad taste with the right combination of condiments. I've eaten fried ants in Colombia and seaweed soup in a Korean restaurant in Asia. In Thailand they served me something that looks and tastes like sand, as well as sticky rice and mango. For these reasons I'm confident I can swallow that Corsican food you mentioned.

May 16, 2021, 10:44 PM
Reply #338
  • Global Moderator
That I would be classified as a foreigner in Corsica makes sense. But you? Isn't this French territory?

With respect to those strange foods you mentioned, I'm pretty much like a garbage disposal, i.e., I eat just about anything. There are only a few items I won't touch, and even then it's possible to disguise the bad taste with the right combination of condiments. I've eaten fried ants in Colombia and seaweed soup in a Korean restaurant in Asia. In Thailand they served me something that looks and tastes like sand, as well as sticky rice and mango. For these reasons I'm confident I can swallow that Corsican food you mentioned.
À Few years ago, the nationalists won the regional elections in Corsica.
They speak French, but many Corsicans consider they are not French. I Heard that it's hard to be accepted over there. Since you seem ready for the test of the figatellu, you might be ready to go to Bonifacio.
Note that I received a purchase offer for my flat. 164000€. I don't know if Im going to accept it.

May 17, 2021, 09:42 PM
Reply #339
  • Global Moderator
À Few years ago, the nationalists won the regional elections in Corsica.
They speak French, but many Corsicans consider they are not French. I Heard that it's hard to be accepted over there. Since you seem ready for the test of the figatellu, you might be ready to go to Bonifacio.

Since it's an island and you're coming in on a boat, it makes sense you'd have to show some ID upon arrival. But as a French citizen on French territory you shouldn't need anything else. No matter how they see themselves, Corsica is not Malta (i.e., not a sovereign nation). I don't know anything about any of this but I'm under the impression these people want to be sovereign while at the same time receiving the benefits France offers it's citizens. You can't have it both ways. If that's not the case, why not just plead for independence? France would probably be happy to let them go -- and stop paying benefits.

BTW is Bonifacio the capital? Google maps doesn't show any city as the capital. Ajaccio looks bigger.

Note that I received a purchase offer for my flat. 164000€. I don't know if Im going to accept it.

By "flat" you mean an apartment, right? How much floor space does it have? Also, do you have to pay some sort of maintenance payment to the association that takes care of the building?

I'm not sure what you have, but I do know that if I tried to sell my house for the equivalent of 164000€ they'd laugh in my face.