Author Topic: New topic Photos  (Read 181326 times)

March 24, 2021, 02:13 PM
Reply #300
  • Global Moderator
Note that some photos and comments in this message were updated: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=2283.msg29306#msg29306
I assume humbert and some users already know the Hôtel des Invalides which nowadays also houses a military museum of the Army of France and an impressive baroque church with the tomb of Napoleon.

March 24, 2021, 09:01 PM
Reply #301
  • Global Moderator
I had no idea the Hôtel des Invalides even existed. Had it known I would have gone there. Regarding Napoleon I was under the impression he died in St Helena island and was buried there. Apparently his body was sent back to France.

Regarding your comments about the virus, how is the status of vaccinations in France. Here they're becoming more and more available as the days pass. I believe you can even make an appointment at one of the many vaccination centers in town. It's important to vaccinate as many people as possible. The different strains you refer to happen when Covid viruses make copies of themselves that aren't exactly the same.

March 26, 2021, 06:20 PM
Reply #302
  • Global Moderator
I had no idea the Hôtel des Invalides even existed. Had it known I would have gone there. Regarding Napoleon I was under the impression he died in St Helena island and was buried there. Apparently his body was sent back to France.

Regarding your comments about the virus, how is the status of vaccinations in France. Here they're becoming more and more available as the days pass. I believe you can even make an appointment at one of the many vaccination centers in town. It's important to vaccinate as many people as possible. The different strains you refer to happen when Covid viruses make copies of themselves that aren't exactly the same.
Well, The dome des Invalides is actually not very far from the Mcdonald of the Champs Elysées, roughly 2 kms away on foot. During this visit there weren't many visitors, maybe many tourists don't know this museum. I was accompanied by my father, at this time he was pretty fine. He died a few months later of cancer. But visiting the Army museum is not very interesting unless one knows French history like you do anyway. The first tomb of Napoleon was in St Helena after he died in 1821 indeed. During the 1830s—an era we know from Les Miserables—France simmered and rioted. In 1840, to appease various political factions, King Louis-Philippe authorized the return to France of Napoleon Bonaparte’s body. The French call that day Le Retour des Cendres, which translates into “the Return of the Ashes.” But Napoleon Bonaparte wasn’t cremated. In fact, when he was exhumed on St Helena his body was exceptionally well-preserved.

In France only 10% of the population have been vaccinated due to the lack of doses of vaccine.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 06:30 PM by scarface »

March 30, 2021, 08:45 PM
Reply #303
  • Global Moderator
In France only 10% of the population have been vaccinated due to the lack of doses of vaccine.

As far as you know is this due to lack of supply? If so, would you say it's the government who's now giving this issue the importance it deserves?

March 31, 2021, 12:13 AM
Reply #304
  • Global Moderator

As far as you know is this due to lack of supply? If so, would you say it's the government who's now giving this issue the importance it deserves?
I don't know if there is a lack of supply. In countries like South Korea or Palestine they have been able to get rid of the pandemic and the key to these countries' success in halting virus transmission better than any other country came from blending technology and testing like no other country and communication. Faced with the increase in coronavirus cases in some departments in France, several areas are now submitted to lockdown and yet covid cases are still rising.

March 31, 2021, 01:55 AM
Reply #305
  • Global Moderator
Regarding Napoleon I was under the impression he died in St Helena island and was buried there. Apparently his body was sent back to France.
Since you know a lot of things about French history, I recommend this video about the castle of St Cloud: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fnkn6Gb5Qs

March 31, 2021, 07:20 PM
Reply #306
  • Global Moderator
Tonight, new photos taken on the Champs Elysées are available.

On the avenue George V

March 31, 2021, 09:15 PM
Reply #307
  • Global Moderator
Since you know a lot of things about French history, I recommend this video about the castle of St Cloud: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fnkn6Gb5Qs

No, I don't know that much about French history. The only characters I know something about are Joan d'Arc, Kings Louis XIV and XVI, Maximilian Robespierre, Napoleon Bonaparte and Charles de Gaulle. Even then it's not all that much. Did I forget anyone? I'm thinking Louis Pasteur, but then again he was a scientist.

April 04, 2021, 02:31 PM
Reply #308
  • Global Moderator

No, I don't know that much about French history. The only characters I know something about are Joan d'Arc, Kings Louis XIV and XVI, Maximilian Robespierre, Napoleon Bonaparte and Charles de Gaulle. Even then it's not all that much. Did I forget anyone? I'm thinking Louis Pasteur, but then again he was a scientist.
Well, you are a highly educated man. You should have been a history teacher. Maybe you forgot Coluche (a French stage comedian and cinema actor). You must know him if you watched the movie l'aile ou la cuisse (available here: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=1023.msg29243#msg29243)

April 06, 2021, 09:52 PM
Reply #309
  • Global Moderator
Well, you are a highly educated man. You should have been a history teacher.

I disagree. In fact I'm very ignorant. The list of people I mentioned are men who are known pretty much everywhere. For example, you don't need to be a Frenchman to be familiar with the events of the French Revolution, or the fact that Napoleon took over almost all of Europe. And of course almost everywhere you go milk is pasteurized.

I do firmly believe the study of history is very important. The past is extremely linked to the present. In order to get a good understanding of a group of people, it's important to understand how they got to where they are right now.