What games are you playing?

Started by aa1234779, October 26, 2012, 11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: scarface on December 14, 2021, 06:26 PM
Actually, the cryptocurrencies are easily manipulated. Today, a man known as Elon Musk explained that Tesla will start accepting dogecoin for some merchandise. Then the Crypto soared

What I don't understand is who does the manipulating? Are you referring to market forces, more correctly supply and demand? Even so, without some sort of central bank instability is the name of the game. As of today's date Bitcoin is about $45,000. It was over $65,000 a few months ago. People who bought a few Satoshis back then took a serious hit, unless they're doing it to speculate.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on December 18, 2021, 02:48 AM
What I don't understand is who does the manipulating? Are you referring to market forces, more correctly supply and demand? Even so, without some sort of central bank instability is the name of the game. As of today's date Bitcoin is about $45,000. It was over $65,000 a few months ago. People who bought a few Satoshis back then took a serious hit, unless they're doing it to speculate.
Here are a few articles for you...
https://www.euronews.com/next/2021/11/17/bitcoin-and-other-cryptos-have-slumped-after-record-highs-is-market-manipulation-the-reaso
https://worldfinancialreview.com/how-influential-people-manipulate-the-price-of-cryptocurrency/

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on December 12, 2021, 04:43 AM
Quote from: scarface on December 10, 2021, 05:31 AM
Unlike previous Resident Evil games, RE8 requires directx 12 and is not compatible with older GPU indeed, but I meant that it can runs well on any DX12 compatible card. I have a geforce gtx 1050, it's not a brand new graphics card, and yet the game could run pretty well.

When I had to upgrade my system last year, I also tried to see if I could upgrade my GTX-970 video card. Forget it! Even if you can find more modern graphics card, the price is ludicrous. Give thanks to all those people who still think they can get rich mining Bitcoin. I don't know if it's even worth mining any other cryptocurrency. Who even accepts them?

Due to the landlord refusing to have a decent heating schedule where I live. And I do not pay for electricity, I ended up using mining as a way to add some euros to "decrease" my rent, and add a constant source of heat. Only way to get "rich" of it is if you actively use the heat it generates instead of "dumb" electric heating elements, meaning that you do not have any other means of heat other than electricity.
For example in my parents summer house, they only use electricity to heat it at time of writing. Using mining there would more viable than wasting all the heat without getting anything in return other than heat.

That, or extremely cheap electricity and huge farms..

humbert

Quote from: Shadow.97 on December 20, 2021, 05:37 PM
Due to the landlord refusing to have a decent heating schedule where I live. And I do not pay for electricity, I ended up using mining as a way to add some euros to "decrease" my rent, and add a constant source of heat. Only way to get "rich" of it is if you actively use the heat it generates instead of "dumb" electric heating elements, meaning that you do not have any other means of heat other than electricity.

You're saying your landlord is so cheap he rations the amount of heat used during winter? Does the house use gas for heating or do they burn peat? Also, so I understand you correctly or did you say that during mining your computer produces enough heat to heat your room? If so I'm surprised the graphic card(s) don't burn up.

Without mining would you say the temp in your room is 15°C or less?

Quote from: Shadow.97 on December 20, 2021, 05:37 PM
For example in my parents summer house, they only use electricity to heat it at time of writing. Using mining there would more viable than wasting all the heat without getting anything in return other than heat.

Your parents have a summer house? Where is it located? How is it any different from the regular "winter" house?

Hey Shadow: I've asked you this several times but you haven't answered me. In Ireland do they speak English or Gaelic (Irish)? Do you speak Gaelic and, if not, have you had a language problem? Just curious, that's all.


scarface

Today, a repack of the game Wjchess is available on the forum.

This is a beautiful chess game with a powerful chess engine. Unfortunately, it is only available in French, but it’s not a problem for such a game.

only 662 kb
Link: WJChess




Shadow.97

Been playing Rimworld the last 2 days.
Internet died 11th of January and has not come back in my neighbourhood.
3g/4g is overloaded and is currently giving the following speeds.


Ping looks fine, until you try to play any game.

On a positive sidenote, ended up doing my hackjob on my E3372 4g dongle, so it now runs in Stickmode instead of Hilink. Which means disabling the firewall, NAT, and web UI.
Xbox networking now detects it as Medium Nat instead of Closed.

Makes the whole experience much nicer when windows detects it as a simcard instead of a network device in itself. Autoconnect on startup, and can be used as fallback if primary network goes down.

It was an interesting little project. Reading sites in russian and german through google translate is always interesting. The english guides all seem to be slightly different in how they solved the problems they encountered. Seems to be region differences of the modem that makes the process  slightly difference.

scarface

#406
Once again, a new and smaller repack is available for the frictional games. The 3 mods “games” for Soma were merged. They can be started in the startmenu (they are no longer available via the soma mod laucher since the entry.hpc file names were changed).
More duplicate files were removed in Penumbra “Twilight of the archaic” and “Necrologue”.

Maybe shadow.97, humbert and Vasudev like these games. They can test it and confirm everything works.

Link: https://www.nomaher.com/forum/index.php?topic=833.msg34947#msg34947







Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on December 21, 2021, 04:06 AM
Your parents have a summer house? Where is it located? How is it any different from the regular "winter" house?

Hey Shadow: I've asked you this several times but you haven't answered me. In Ireland do they speak English or Gaelic (Irish)? Do you speak Gaelic and, if not, have you had a language problem? Just curious, that's all.

1.
If you look up the following on google you will find the general area, 387 96 Köpingsvik. It's very sparsely populated.
The difference is that summer houses usually do not live up to the legal standard of accomodation in terms of insulation etc, and more lax regulation for septic systems and what not.
Ours live up to the legal definition of a year round house, but it's in an area that would generally not be advisiable to live in the winter, as the roads are not cleared from snow and that the house has direct electrical heating, which would be extremely expensive with the current electric prices. I would advise a truck or AWD car if you're planning on staying the winter there. If we are there during winter, we usually ask the local farmer to plow to the house.

It's also not as insulated as our standard home. Our standard home has tripple insulated glass, while this place does not to my knowledge have any insulation for the windows.

2.
English,
I've not heard a single person speak Gaelic here. Some old people know it but.. Nowdays it is taught in school as a secondary language usually. But most people do not use it in their day to day life.
My only contact with Gaelic has been in legal documents, that are forced to be in both english and Gaelic. For example, police reports.

Video worth watching on the subject :)
https://youtu.be/JqYtG9BNhfM

It is very common that Chinese students come to Sweden and try to use Swedish with the local population. But as they usually have broken Swedish, or beginner level, we tend to try to switch to English. As we see that as an universal language of the world. But the Chinese who learn Swedish often do not speak English and they get confused. Similar to the video.


humbert

Thanks for your response.

With respect to the summer house, I looked at 387 96 Köpingsvik with Google maps and Google street view. From what I'm seeing there's almost nothing there, just narrow roads with very little traffic and very few man-made structures. Why would anybody want to buy a house there? From what I'm seeing it seems to me there's nothing to do and no place to go. Is there even internet and TV service there?

Your explanation of the languages in Ireland is interesting. I looked at the video. This has to be satire. For example, it seems next to impossible that the old man and the Chinese guy are speaking in Gaelic and the bartender thinks it's Chinese. You explained Gaelic is taught as a second language. Even if the bartender is not fluent, at least he can pick up a word or two -- enough to know it's Gaelic. Also, it makes perfect sense that the Chinese dude could be fluent in a major language (English, French, Spanish, German, etc) in 6 months. But Gaelic? How does he practice it when almost nobody even speaks it?

Shadow.97

Quote from: humbert on January 29, 2022, 02:19 AM
Thanks for your response.

With respect to the summer house, I looked at 387 96 Köpingsvik with Google maps and Google street view. From what I'm seeing there's almost nothing there, just narrow roads with very little traffic and very few man-made structures. Why would anybody want to buy a house there? From what I'm seeing it seems to me there's nothing to do and no place to go. Is there even internet and TV service there?

Gigabit fiber is delayed 3 years, Current ETA is that it's supposed to be installed by spring. TV has been there since before I was born. 4g/5g has been rolled out for a while and usually gives speed of 100+mbit. But we just go to relax, have fun, disconnect from society for a bit. Hear birds singing, sunbathe. There is no stress. Amazing weather. Sounds like heaven if you ask me!
If you are feeling frisky you can always walk to the sea and take a bath on the beach.

Whats your perfect vacation?




Quote from: humbert on January 29, 2022, 02:19 AM
Your explanation of the languages in Ireland is interesting. I looked at the video. This has to be satire. For example, it seems next to impossible that the old man and the Chinese guy are speaking in Gaelic and the bartender thinks it's Chinese. You explained Gaelic is taught as a second language. Even if the bartender is not fluent, at least he can pick up a word or two -- enough to know it's Gaelic. Also, it makes perfect sense that the Chinese dude could be fluent in a major language (English, French, Spanish, German, etc) in 6 months. But Gaelic? How does he practice it when almost nobody even speaks it?

Satire in a way, but in a way very serious. A lot of people have no clue how Gaelic sounds. Especially if the person comes from a person with Chinese ethnicity. I could easily see the mixup happening if the person has an accent.
I'm not sure how long Gaelic has been a second langauge here. Most people I talk to say they dont understand anything really when it comes to it, and that they have never used the language with anyone.

And the answer to this:
" But Gaelic? How does he practice it when almost nobody even speaks it?"
Books, and youtube. :P Well this video is really old, but when I studied Chinese in school we didnt really speak with anyone. We practiced all on our own and just sent in voice recordings for our exam.
We only used books, youtube, and other documents sent to us.
I dont think learning a language is all that hard, the hardest part is finding the dedication to go through with it.

To be honest though. I dont know much about this subject. A lot of it is guessing.