• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Best e-mail client?

Started by Daniil, November 20, 2012, 10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniil

Dear friends! (кomяadeз!...  ;D)
What is (in your opinion) is the best free e-mail client for SO/HO applications?
I had used russian origin "The Bat" (it's very good but too old and not free), also for corporate application M$ Outlook is very good (easy to make backups and restore mail databases, but also not free).
What other options you can offer? (and please describe why you choose this specific mail client?)

Ahmad

Are those clients like Mozilla Thunderbird ?

If so, and if I choose to try one, I'll try Thunderbird first.
But for now, I haven't used any E-Mail clients. I rarely need to see my E-Mails except for registering in a site.  ???

I'll try Thunderbird just because I trust Mozilla exactly like I love Firefox.
Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.

Daniil

Quote from: Ahmad on November 20, 2012, 01:17 PM
Are those clients like Mozilla Thunderbird ?

If so, and if I choose to try one, I'll try Thunderbird first.
Yes they are.  :D Bat is more fancy and "overtuned", Outlook is more... well... "microsofty".  ;D

But for now, I haven't used any E-Mail clients. I rarely need to see my E-Mails except for registering in a site.  ???
Well, in this project I need precisely a mail client - some software/hardware systems will report financional info by a emails, and that info must not be at public mailservice mailbox for long. A client will download it fast and will keep it safe.

I'll try Thunderbird just because I trust Mozilla exactly like I love Firefox.
Me too. I think that the Mozilla is the best browser today.
Thanks, dear friend. I'm downloading Thunderbird.
Any other ideas? (Btw, it's very quiet on forum at last month. Are all fall down to winter sleeping?..  ???)

Ahmad

Quote from: Daniil on November 20, 2012, 01:39 PM
(Btw, it's very quiet on forum at last month. Are all fall down to winter sleeping?..  ???)

May be.  ;D
For me, It's the college and monthly exams that made me busier than before.
:)

humbert

As much as I may love Firefox, I don't like Thunderbird at all. Just for starters I've had all kinds of problems with it when it comes to saving attachments. Also, I'm not all that sure why this thing keeps asking us to browse an install attachments. An e-mail client is not a browser, and as I see it a good client should simply have no use for them.

The e-mail client that came with Windows 8 is good if you don't save your messages locally in msg format, as I do. I've also noticed it's a little buggy and does things it shouldn't be doing. I use it only because it's easy to get in and out of. Fortunately, since all my e-mail is set up as IMAP, if for whatever reason some situation arises that the Windows 8 client can't handle, then I go to Microsoft Outlook and do what needs to be done.

There are gazillions of e-mail programs out there, many of them freeware. If anyone knows of one that supports IMAP, has no problems with attachments or HTML and allows you to save e-mails locally as opposed to this garbage of saving them in the cloud , I'm open to recommendations.

Samantha

I've been using TrulyMail for years. I used to use Thunderbird but didn't like that I needed add-ons to do what I wanted. TrulyMail is free and is really feature rich. Only downside is that it only runs on Windows (but I only use Windows so that's fine for me).

Ahmad

Thanks for sharing, Samantha.
:) :D

humbert

Yes, I absolutely agree - thanks so much for sharing the information.  :) ;)  I had no idea an e-mail client such as this one even existed, and freeware!

It's hard to imagine how much good stuff is available for free. Sumatra is a classic example. Someone else here on the forum suggested it, and in all honesty I have yet to see a better PDF reader. Not only that, it can also read other formats such as epub, djvu, mobi, xps and chm seamlessly. Before the tip about Sumatra was posted, not only was I was using the far more bloated Foxit Reader, but I also had to have another reader for the other formats. If only Sumatra's developers could get the thing to do basic editing also!

Daniil

OK, friends.
Back to e-mail clients. I compare many of them (Outlook, Bat, Thunderbird, FoxMail and some others) and... At the end I selected Thunderbird.
Why so?
Well, before start of comparing I had a prepossession against Thunderbird. That was because some years ago I tried to set up Thunderbird (one of the very first versions) to work on my PC on Win Vista 64 (yeah, that was a times!). At that time Thunderbird gives me a bunch of glitches and don't want to work. Also I was scared by it interface, looking like a hand-made table (made with bare and rough wood and a nuts and bolts from truck) at my grandfather's house!
So, now I installing Thunderbird with some hidden fears. But modern Thunderbird is very different from old one and at this time setted up well! Interface of it looks very similar to my favorite "The Bat", it saves messages in its own database which is not need any special tweaks (not like in "The Bat" and that's good in fact!). It can easy make a filters for incoming mail, and have an included antispam already. I can say that now Thunderbird is a good mail client.

But - some "contra":
I set it up on x86 system. Don't know how it's going on x64. On Vista x64 some years ago it throws feeria of glitches...
Can't say anything about antispam - at this my project I set up mail system to get ONLY mails from one address and with special code in the text, so mail manager just throw other mails to scratch.

@ humbert
Comrade, may I ask? Why you save your messages as .msg-files? I think it's non-technologic. A database with all mails (like in Outlook) is much more efficient.

@ Ahmad
Yeah, yeah, I also starting to prepare to winter session at my Institute. This, and work around my projects is cause of my rare coming to our forum. And what you mean "monthly exams"? Are you examinating every month in your colledge?

@ Samantha
Thanks for sharing, friend, and welcome to us.  :) Where are you from, how long you worknig with computers?

Ahmad

Quote from: Daniil on November 28, 2012, 09:34 AM
@ Ahmad
Yeah, yeah, I also starting to prepare to winter session at my Institute. This, and work around my projects is cause of my rare coming to our forum. And what you mean "monthly exams"? Are you examinating every month in your colledge?

Something like that.
When finishing a chapter or a part, they examine us in this part. At the end of the year, the exam will be on the whole book.