General chat room

Started by Shadow.97, August 06, 2016, 09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow.97

Upgraded my pc from 1700x to 3700x (amd).
So will offer my 1700x for shipping if someone's interested. Offer will be up until i regret offering  ;)


Pros of the upgrade:
Much smoother fps.
Ram can run at 3200mhz without issues.
Hugely improved acoustic, as it does not generate as much heat it seems like, or reports heat differently. Not sure.

Bought it used from a friend when I was in sweden.

My server's been having more issues with crashing lately, I think it does not like the RAM i have in it. only 2 out of 4 sticks are matching. Different voltages, ic's, timings, and speeds.. :)
Was thinking of perhaps upgrading it with a b450 + 32gb of ram + 1700x, but changed my mind as I could not justify the cost.
I dont mind the server not being fully 24/7

scarface

Quote from: Shadow.97 on September 30, 2021, 11:48 PM
Upgraded my pc from 1700x to 3700x (amd).
So will offer my 1700x for shipping if someone's interested. Offer will be up until i regret offering  ;)
This CPU is a little faster than my current CPU but I don't need it, and my motherboard would not be compatible anyway (my CPU is a Intel i5 9300H).
Maybe you should contact Danill, I remember he was one of the few in the forum to talk about Amd cpus.

scarface

In this topic, we have seen that we were talking about various things including personal matters.
And today, I'm going to post a photo taken in the town where I attended the funeral of my mother.
Look at this photo below.


It was taken in the small town of La Mure, in Isère.
Humbert and Maher must be flabbergasted: it looks like an oil rig ! But they know there is no oil under the ground in France.
Actually, what you see here is an abandoned coal mine. It was definitively closed in 1997.
Note that after some research, I found my biological grand mother...in the obituaries (link: https://www.geneafrance.com/france/deces/?deces=11554930).
I only know that she was living in Echirolles, in the outskirts of Grenoble (at the time Echirolles was a working class district).

humbert

Quote from: scarface on October 22, 2021, 12:22 PM
Humbert and Maher must be flabbergasted: it looks like an oil rig ! But they know there is no oil under the ground in France.
Actually, what you see here is an abandoned coal mine. It was definitively closed in 1997.

According to Google images this pic doesn't look anything like an oil rig. Not even like an oil drill or well.

I believe the reason France decided to go with nuclear power is precisely because there is no oil and very little in the way of fossil fuels. As far as I know it's been a success.

scarface

Look at the photo below.
This is a puzzle with 1000 parts, depicting some book sellers near the cathedral Notre Dame. This photo was probably taken in 1935 or 1940.
I'm giving this puzzle to whoever is interested. It would be a nice present for Vasudev, shadow.97, humbert, Maher... Just send me your address, I will take care of the shipping cost.

scarface

Well, I received no answer for the amazing puzzle above. I will remove the message if nobody wants it.

scarface

Today, I'm going to talk about Bitcoin. More precisely, I translated an article published in courrier international, and originally published in the German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung or FAZ. I guess that shadow.97 will be glad to read this even if it's a rather negative view of bitcoin.
This article is titled: The bitcoin, a dangerous illusion.

Today's most popular cryptocurrency will never have the qualities of an “old-fashioned” currency, warn two ECB directors in a column for the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. Its increasingly wide distribution could even cause “considerable social damage”.
You don't have to be a financial genius "to understand that the price of bitcoin will sooner or later be zero." Speculators who bet on its scarcity are wrong. “It is only useful subjective demand that makes a good scarce and therefore valuable". “The bitcoin fever has all the hallmarks of a bubble based on the biggest fool theory,” which says “value increases as long as the 'biggest fool' assumes he can later sell for a higher price ”.

Bitcoin is not as "popular" as its community thinks it is. It is “shaped by financial interests and powerful investors”. The “masses”, ie 75% of the addresses on the blockchain, “only hold 0.2% of the market”. It's a much more elitist than egalitarian system.
Finally, crypto-assets are dangerous for the environment - mining “wastes energy on a large scale” - and for society - money laundering, financing of terrorism… All this militates for “a reaction from the public authorities”, conclude the two economists, for whom a bitcoin that lasts is something “as impossible as dividing by zero”.

Link for the article: https://www.courrierinternational.com/article/finance-le-bitcoin-une-illusion-dangereuse

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on November 07, 2021, 07:55 AM
Well, I received no answer for the amazing puzzle above. I will remove the message if nobody wants it.
Is the puzzle black & White? Do you know about how physically large it is when it is done? My mom loves puzzles. Was thinking it would be something of her interests.

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on November 07, 2021, 08:16 AM
Today, I'm going to talk about Bitcoin. More precisely, I translated an article published in courrier international, and originally published in the German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung or FAZ. I guess that shadow.97 will be glad to read this even if it's a rather negative view of bitcoin.
This article is titled: The bitcoin, a dangerous illusion.

Today's most popular cryptocurrency will never have the qualities of an “old-fashioned” currency, warn two ECB directors in a column for the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. Its increasingly wide distribution could even cause “considerable social damage”.
You don't have to be a financial genius "to understand that the price of bitcoin will sooner or later be zero." Speculators who bet on its scarcity are wrong. “It is only useful subjective demand that makes a good scarce and therefore valuable". “The bitcoin fever has all the hallmarks of a bubble based on the biggest fool theory,” which says “value increases as long as the 'biggest fool' assumes he can later sell for a higher price ”.

Bitcoin is not as "popular" as its community thinks it is. It is “shaped by financial interests and powerful investors”. The “masses”, ie 75% of the addresses on the blockchain, “only hold 0.2% of the market”. It's a much more elitist than egalitarian system.
Finally, crypto-assets are dangerous for the environment - mining “wastes energy on a large scale” - and for society - money laundering, financing of terrorism… All this militates for “a reaction from the public authorities”, conclude the two economists, for whom a bitcoin that lasts is something “as impossible as dividing by zero”.

Link for the article: https://www.courrierinternational.com/article/finance-le-bitcoin-une-illusion-dangereuse


The thing as well about Bitcoin is that, before it's possible to use as a currency, it needs to stop being used as a stock.

scarface

Quote from: Shadow.97 on November 08, 2021, 01:27 AM
Is the puzzle black & White? Do you know about how physically large it is when it is done? My mom loves puzzles. Was thinking it would be something of her interests.
Yes it's black and white, it's a photo taken in the 1930's.
Size: 68x48cm