• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 10 Privacy Issues

Started by Vasudev, December 07, 2016, 05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on February 07, 2018, 07:09 AM
Grab the iso from techbench adguard https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php
Mount and run setup.exe
OR I found Dism++ to be very versatile tool to fix your issue in one go.
Just check WinSxs cleanup, windows update log, Windows update install history and cache and just reboot. Your issue will be fixed. Make sure you create a system restore point before proceeding or even Macrium reflect Image backup for safety reason if you're paranoid about losing imp. files. Its safe though I have tried it w/o any issues.

Thanks for the tip. I had no idea you could simply mount the ISO and reinstall without erasing your files. Is this how you update Windows? In any event it solved the problem. And thanks for DISM although I never had to use it.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on February 08, 2018, 05:30 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on February 07, 2018, 07:09 AM
Grab the iso from techbench adguard https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php
Mount and run setup.exe
OR I found Dism++ to be very versatile tool to fix your issue in one go.
Just check WinSxs cleanup, windows update log, Windows update install history and cache and just reboot. Your issue will be fixed. Make sure you create a system restore point before proceeding or even Macrium reflect Image backup for safety reason if you're paranoid about losing imp. files. Its safe though I have tried it w/o any issues.

Thanks for the tip. I had no idea you could simply mount the ISO and reinstall without erasing your files. Is this how you update Windows? In any event it solved the problem. And thanks for DISM although I never had to use it.
Dism++ or Dism is a housekeeping utility for Win 10 to clean older files and Trim W10 Size after every update. After removing everything W10 is just faster and less bloated.
I never upgrade W10, just Clean install everything. I did upgrade only once to get W10 using W7/8.1 license.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on February 12, 2018, 10:13 AM
Dism++ or Dism is a housekeeping utility for Win 10 to clean older files and Trim W10 Size after every update. After removing everything W10 is just faster and less bloated.

Is it any better than simply using Ccleaner updated with the lastest winapp2.ini file? That's what I use (plus a registry cleaner) and my system runs great. I don't care what anybody says, Windows is notorious at leaving behind garbage and tons of useless registry keys. This is why I believe cleaning is an absolute necesity.

I never upgrade W10, just Clean install everything. I did upgrade only once to get W10 using W7/8.1 license.

You're going to have to make the jump to W10 sooner or later, and especially if you have a relatively new system. I don't procrastinate - I went with 10 and ironed out most of the annoyances.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on February 16, 2018, 06:54 AM

Is it any better than simply using Ccleaner updated with the lastest winapp2.ini file? That's what I use (plus a registry cleaner) and my system runs great. I don't care what anybody says, Windows is notorious at leaving behind garbage and tons of useless registry keys. This is why I believe cleaning is an absolute necesity.

You're going to have to make the jump to W10 sooner or later, and especially if you have a relatively new system. I don't procrastinate - I went with 10 and ironed out most of the annoyances.
I use CCleaner Slim(Trimmed Winapp2.ini), Bleachbit(w/ Winapp2.ini), Dism++, Storage sense to clean out the junk.
Yeah most PCs I have are on W10 Creators and newer version really needs SSD to get acceptable performance from Windows 10.  I have some older lappies with HDD and W10 FCU works like Horse crap.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on February 16, 2018, 05:05 PM
I use CCleaner Slim(Trimmed Winapp2.ini), Bleachbit(w/ Winapp2.ini), Dism++, Storage sense to clean out the junk.
Yeah most PCs I have are on W10 Creators and newer version really needs SSD to get acceptable performance from Windows 10.  I have some older lappies with HDD and W10 FCU works like Horse crap.

Does Dism++ clean out garbage that Ccleaner misses even with the lastest winapp2.ini file? Also, in Dism++ there's an orange line covering some items. What does that mean?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on June 21, 2019, 05:34 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on February 16, 2018, 05:05 PM

Does Dism++ clean out garbage that Ccleaner misses even with the lastest winapp2.ini file? Also, in Dism++ there's an orange line covering some items. What does that mean?
It means those are Expert mode features which are unsafe for basic users. if you just select what I said earlier (Sxs temps,sxs backups, etc..) which are pretty safe which your OS getting borked.
You can simply go to settings to uncheck Expert mode to revert to default state of Dism++.

humbert

Quote from: Vasudev on June 21, 2019, 07:57 PM
It means those are Expert mode features which are unsafe for basic users. if you just select what I said earlier (Sxs temps,sxs backups, etc..) which are pretty safe which your OS getting borked.
You can simply go to settings to uncheck Expert mode to revert to default state of Dism++.

Is this what you do when you use Dism++ for cleaning?

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on June 26, 2019, 05:43 AM
Quote from: Vasudev on June 21, 2019, 07:57 PM

Is this what you do when you use Dism++ for cleaning?
Yes, same as always. The steps are same when you had W10 upgrade issues.

Daniil

Hello, friends. Can anybody tell, what kind of private data Win10 sends outside, and to where it sends it?

humbert

Quote from: Daniil on May 08, 2021, 04:26 PM
Hello, friends. Can anybody tell, what kind of private data Win10 sends outside, and to where it sends it?

DANIIL!! So glad to see you back! Hope you can continue to enlighten us with your wisdom and knowledge.

With respect to Win10, I guess the best answer I can give you is to download and install a prog called Windows 10 privacy (https://www.w10privacy.de). Not only does it disable telemetry, it tells you exactly in detail what it's disabling. It's what I use, I recommend it.