• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

New topic Photos

Started by scarface, February 01, 2015, 05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: scarface on December 28, 2021, 09:12 AM
If you are referring to the qwerty keyboard, then don't include me,I use an azerty keyboard.

Yes, the qwerty keyboard. I was looking at some pics of the azerty keyboard and I'm seeing that most letters are in the same location as qwerty. In any case, changing keyboards after so many years would be an ordeal.

Do you have the physical azerty keyboard or did you change Windows' keyboard to azerty in the settings?

Quote from: scarface on December 28, 2021, 09:12 AM[
maybe Vasudev and Daniil are stuck on the Latin alphabet
As far as Vasudev is concerned, I don't know what kind of keybord is used India but I assume Daniil uses a Cyrillic keyboard.

Once Daniil sent a pic of his keyboard. It's the same qwerty keyboard you know except that cyrillic letters are written in yellow in the lower left corner of each key. You switch back and forth with Winkey-Space.

With respect to India, I remember posting that question to an Indian guy on our forum a while ago (I can't recall his name). He explained that in India 100% of all computing is done in English. There is no such thing as a Hindi keyboard and, even if a store had them for sale, nobody would buy it. I'd guess that people who need to type in Hindi would simply download that keyboard language and use Winkey-Space when needed. I just checked on the lower right of the taskbar - Hindi is available for download.

scarface

scarface

Today, a few photos are available on the forum.
I'll give some comments later.

The Place des Victoires is a circular place in Paris, located a short distance northeast from the Palais Royal and straddling the border between the 1st and the 2nd arrondissements.
At the center of the Place des Victoires is an equestrian monument in honor of King Louis XIV, celebrating the Treaties of Nijmegen concluded in 1678.

This photo was taken on the banks of the Seine. You can see the pont du Carrousel, a bridge in Paris.

Here you can see a bateau mouche. I was sure this photo would arouse humbert and usman's curiosity. You are certainly wondering why this boat is called mouche (fly in French - the insect), since this boat looks pretty big. Actually, the word mouche doesn't refer to the insect. The first "Bateaux-Mouches" of Paris were actually built in Lyon in the neighborhood of "La Mouche". They were ordered for the Universal Exhibition in 1867.

On the right, you can see the Louvre museum.
Apparently, a tramp is sleeping on the floor on the left.

The Louvre Pyramid is a large glass structure designed by the Chinese-American architect Leoh Ming Pei. The pyramid is in the main courtyard of the Louvre Palace in Paris, surrounded by three smaller pyramids. The large pyramid serves as the main entrance to the Louvre Museum.

In the rue Pasquier, in the 8th arrondissement of Paris. On the right you can see the Chapelle expiatoire.

Here you can see The Chapelle expiatoire ("Expiatory Chapel") is a chapel located in the 8th arrondissement of Paris. The chapel was constructed on the grounds where King Louis XVI and Queen Marie Antoinette had been buried after they had been guillotined, and it is therefore dedicated to them.

scarface

Note that I may submit new sets of pictures on the forum since I'm planning to visit the house of Chateaubriand, in Châtenay-Malabry.
Humbert, Maher or Daniil have probably read some of the books written by Chateaubriand.

Chateaubriand was a French writer and historian who had a notable influence on French literature of the nineteenth century. Descended from an old aristocratic family from Brittany, Chateaubriand was a royalist by political disposition. In an age when large numbers of intellectuals turned against the Church, he authored the Génie du christianisme in defense of the Catholic faith. His works include the autobiography Mémoires d'Outre-Tombe ("Memoirs from Beyond the Grave"), published posthumously in 1849–1850.

At the age of seventeen, Chateaubriand decided on a military career and gained a commission as a second lieutenant in the French Army based at Navarre. Within two years, he had been promoted to the rank of captain. He visited Paris in 1788 where he made the acquaintance of leading writers of the time. When the French Revolution broke out and as events in Paris - and throughout the countryside - became more violent he wisely decided to journey to North America in 1791. He was given the idea to leave Europe by Guillaume-Chrétien de Lamoignon de Malesherbes, who also encouraged him to do some botanical studies.
In Voyage en Amérique, published in 1826, Chateaubriand writes that he arrived in Philadelphia on 10 July 1791. He visited New York, Boston and Lexington, before leaving by boat on the Hudson River to reach Albany. He then followed the Mohawk Trail up the Niagara Falls where he broke his arm and spent a month in recovery in the company of a Native American tribe. Chateaubriand then describes Native American tribes' customs, as well as zoological, political and economic consideration. He then says that a raid along the Ohio River, the Mississippi River, Louisiana and Florida took him back to Philadelphia, where he embarked on the Molly in November to go back to France.
This experience provided the setting for his exotic novels Les Natchez (written between 1793 and 1799 but published only in 1826), Atala (1801) and René (1802). His vivid, captivating descriptions of nature in the sparsely settled American Deep South were written in a style that was very innovative for the time and spearheaded what later became the Romantic movement in France. As early as 1916, some scholars have cast doubt on Chateaubriand's claims that he was granted an interview with George Washington and that he actually lived for a time with the Native Americans he wrote about. Critics have questioned the veracity of entire sections of Chateaubriand's claimed travels, notably his passage through the Mississippi Valley, Louisiana and Florida.
Chateaubriand returned to France in 1792 and subsequently joined the army of Royalist émigrés in Koblenz under the leadership of Louis Joseph de Bourbon, Prince of Condé. His military career came to an end when he was wounded at the Siege of Thionville, a major clash between Royalist troops (of which Chateaubriand was a member) and the French Revolutionary Army. Half-dead, he was taken to Jersey and exiled to England, leaving his wife behind.
On his return to France at the end of 1806, he published a severe criticism of Napoleon, comparing him to Nero and predicting the emergence of a new Tacitus. Napoleon famously threatened to have Chateaubriand sabred on the steps of the Tuileries Palace for it, but settled for merely banishing him from the city. Chateaubriand therefore retired, in 1807, to a modest estate he called Vallée-aux-Loups ("Wolf Valley"), in Châtenay-Malabry, 11 km south of central Paris, near Sceaux, where he lived until 1817. Here he finished Les Martyrs, which appeared in 1809, and began the first drafts of his Mémoires d'Outre-Tombe. He was elected to the Académie française in 1811, but, given his plan to infuse his acceptance speech with criticism of the Revolution, he could not occupy his seat until after the Bourbon Restoration.

scarface

Today, I'm going to show you some photos of the arboretum and the house of Chateaubriand, located in Chatenay Malabry.

you can see the entrance of the Arboretum de la Vallée-aux-Loups, a park located in Châtenay-Malabry, Hauts-de-Seine.

Here you can see a beautiful mansion and some trees.

The park is hosting a collection of Bonsaïs. Here you can the superb foliage of a Japanese maple, also known as Acer palmatum.

Here you can see a white pine of Japan, also known as Pinus parviflora.

The tree that you see here is unique: 150 years ago, a nurseryman planted a blue cedar from the Atlas, endemic to Morocco and Algeria, but the tree mutated and became a weeping cedar: its foliage extends over 700 square meters. It is the biggest weeping blue cedar in the world.
In 2015, It was voted the most beautiful tree in France during a competition organized by the magazine Terre sauvage and the National Forestry Office. It is a unique specimen since the other trees present in the world all come from cuttings or grafts made from this one.

And a video of the tree here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUfT7-Fvya0

Under the weeping blue cedar.

Next to the weeping blue cedar, you can also find another exceptional tree: a sequoia. Most of them are located in California.
The biggest sequoias measure up to 87 meters high and can weigh up to 6000 tons. This one measures roughly 33 meters.

Here you can see a Mint Julep Juniper, a dwarf conifer. It is a beautiful spreading shrub with thick wavy foliage.

Here you can see some photos taken in the house of Chateaubriand.
In 1807 a house adjacent to the Arboretum de la Vallée-aux-Loups was purchased by François-René de Chateaubriand.

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on April 10, 2022, 11:23 AMToday, I'm going to show you some photos of the arboretum and the house of Chateaubriand, located in Chatenay Malabry. More comments will be added later.
Love places like this. Been looking forward to go to the botanical gardens here, will likely do it next month. If I can get my thumb out my ***.

scarface

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to hold a conference to present a few photos for the users of the forum.
In the previous version of the forum it was possible to click on the photos to enlarge them, but it appears it doesn't work anymore. So if you want to see a larger version of the photos, I advise you to open them in new tabs.

Here you can see a photo taken from the Mirabeau bridge in the 16th arrondissement of Paris.
You can see the Eiffel tower in the middle of the photo. You can also see the red Novotel tower and on its left, the Totem tower, which was described as a "gigantic concrete morel" in the book Serotonin of Houellebecq.

A few photos taken on the Champs Elysées. Humbert will probably notice the premises of the Mcdonald.

On the avenue de Wagram

No trip to Paris is complete without a visit to the Latin Quarter in the 6th and 5th arrondissement, on the Left Bank. The area's many cafés and restaurants are laid-back and welcoming; they are filled with Parisians, students and tourists. There are several attractions to visit, among them the Pantheon, the Musée National du Moyen-Âge and the Luxembourg gardens. As you stroll through the district you will also come across the Sorbonne, the best known university in Paris, the Lycée Henri IV, the shopping streets Rue Mouffetard and Rue Monge and the charming Place de la Contrescarpe. The district also has popular show venues like the Paradis Latin, the Théâtre de l'Odéon and the Caveau de la Huchette.

The Odeon - Théâtre de l'Europe, in the 6th arrondissement, is the oldest theater-monument in Europe to still operate in its original premises

Here, on the Boulevard St Michel, you can see the railings of the jardin du Luxembourg in the background, located in the 6th arrondissement. The name Luxembourg comes from the Latin Mons Lucotitius, the name of the hill where the garden is located.

Here you can see the medici fountain, a monumental fountain in the Jardin du Luxembourg. It was designed like a grotto reminiscent of one in the Boboli Gardens in Italy where Marie de Medici grew up, and she had this commissioned for the Jardin du Luxembourg  in 1630.

The Senate, in the jardin du Luxembourg.

In the jardin du Luxembourg. In the background, you can see the Montparnasse Tower.

In the background you can see the Pantheon

In the rue Vaugirard, a good Vietnamese restaurant. It's a bit expensive but the nems are excellent.

A bit further, the museum of Cluny in the 5th arrondissement.

The Fontaine Saint-Michel, a monumental fountain located in Place Saint-Michel in the 6th arrondissement.

The cathedral Notre Dame de Paris, in the 4th arrondissement.

Some souvenirs, in the shops bordering the banks of the Seine.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on May 08, 2022, 11:59 PMA few photos taken on the Champs Elysées. Humbert will probably notice the premises of the Mcdonald.

The picture of the Arc d'Triomphe -- is that the side that faces McDonald's or the side that faces away from McDonald's? I don't remember the details.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on May 09, 2022, 04:54 AMThe picture of the Arc d'Triomphe -- is that the side that faces McDonald's or the side that faces away from McDonald's? I don't remember the details.
Actually, here you see the north face of the arch of triumph, so this is not the side that you see on the avenue of the Champs Elysées, which is on the left on the photo. By the way, this photo could have only been taken from the north since the Eiffel tower is located on the south of the arc of triumph. To be specific, it was taken at the beginning of the Avenue de Wagram (exact location here: https://www.google.com/maps/@48.8744869,2.2954349,3a,75y,172.72h,89.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s1umhb_YyNV0Va1i2v4BIAg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192)
From the Avenue Mac-Mahon, just beside the avenue de Wagram, you can get a three quarter perspective of the monument, which is more spectacular, but then the arch is hiding the Eiffel tower.