• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 11

Started by Shadow.97, June 17, 2021, 03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Quote from: humbert on May 15, 2022, 04:45 AMWho's still using Windows 7? M$ stopped supporting it long ago.  It's not like XP. By this I mean that those who were still using XP had old systems and it was financially impossible for them to upgrade. M$ made it very clear that any computer than ran W7 could run W8 and subsequently W10. It was with W11 that they drew the line, and even then you could alter W11 to get around this limitation.
Actually, Windows 7 is still receiving updates every month. But it's true that it's probably advisable to use a newer version. As for windows 11, I have problems with it (memory leaks, audio lags) and the new mspaint is quite cumbersome to use (the exe can't be replaced).

Vasudev

Quote from: scarface on May 15, 2022, 08:03 AM
Quote from: humbert on May 15, 2022, 04:45 AMWho's still using Windows 7? M$ stopped supporting it long ago.  It's not like XP. By this I mean that those who were still using XP had old systems and it was financially impossible for them to upgrade. M$ made it very clear that any computer than ran W7 could run W8 and subsequently W10. It was with W11 that they drew the line, and even then you could alter W11 to get around this limitation.
Actually, Windows 7 is still receiving updates every month. But it's true that it's probably advisable to use a newer version. As for windows 11, I have problems with it (memory leaks, audio lags) and the new mspaint is quite cumbersome to use (the exe can't be replaced).
Yes as an ESR for some EU/US with higher fees. Actually unsupported for consumer or public users but W7 gets the job done

humbert

You're saying M$ is still updating Windows 7? I Googled that and it says that as of Jan 14, 2020 there are no more security updates. What's going on?

I have no doubt Win7 gets the job done. The problem here is lack of support, and I don't mean just M$. There are probably hardware manufacturers who don't bother to write driver for it any more. As more time passes, more manufacturers will add themselves to the list.

Did you test W11 on a "real" computer or on a virtual machine? I'm asking because in my tests on Virtualbox it performs quite well. It's just the typical M$ annoyances people have to deal with. I found a very clean bare-bones ISO on the torrents with a great many "features" removed. It doesn't even have Edge. This is no problem, if I wanted Edge it's available on the M$ store app. Despite all this, I believe it's still too early to go full on with W11. Let them improve it and let guys write more hacks for it.

If this were a perfect world, those who write operating systems should always provide us with a very clean copy. You download what you need from their store or repositories. Better this than having to spend all day removing unwanted garbage.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on May 16, 2022, 04:57 AMYou're saying M$ is still updating Windows 7? I Googled that and it says that as of Jan 14, 2020 there are no more security updates. What's going on?

I have no doubt Win7 gets the job done. The problem here is lack of support, and I don't mean just M$. There are probably hardware manufacturers who don't bother to write driver for it any more. As more time passes, more manufacturers will add themselves to the list.

Did you test W11 on a "real" computer or on a virtual machine? I'm asking because in my tests on Virtualbox it performs quite well. It's just the typical M$ annoyances people have to deal with. I found a very clean bare-bones ISO on the torrents with a great many "features" removed. It doesn't even have Edge. This is no problem, if I wanted Edge it's available on the M$ store app. Despite all this, I believe it's still too early to go full on with W11. Let them improve it and let guys write more hacks for it.

If this were a perfect world, those who write operating systems should always provide us with a very clean copy. You download what you need from their store or repositories. Better this than having to spend all day removing unwanted garbage.
W7 ESR release Win 7 ESR docs
I haven't tested win 11 on physical machines since I don't have any devices compatible with W11. In Vbox it works. In my ISO I use msi installer of Edge Enterprise. You can safely delete folder EdgeCore from Program Files x86\Microsoft\ and keep only Edge, EdgeUpdate and Temp and save 600MB of bloat since desktop version points to Edge folder.

scarface

Quote from: Vasudev on May 16, 2022, 05:39 PMW7 ESR release Win 7 ESR docs
Windows 7 is supported till January 2023 with the ESU indeed. Let's thank Vasudev for answering the numerous questions of humbert, I had no time to answer today.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on May 16, 2022, 10:33 PMWindows 7 is supported till January 2023 with the ESU indeed. Let's thank Vasudev for answering the numerous questions of humbert, I had no time to answer today.

Where is that support coming from? On Google it says Jan 14, 2020 is the final day. If M$ changed their minds I'm not aware of it. Even so, I see no reason not to upgrade to W10. Forget about W11 for now.

Vasudev

Quote from: humbert on May 17, 2022, 04:52 AM
Quote from: scarface on May 16, 2022, 10:33 PMWindows 7 is supported till January 2023 with the ESU indeed. Let's thank Vasudev for answering the numerous questions of humbert, I had no time to answer today.

Where is that support coming from? On Google it says Jan 14, 2020 is the final day. If M$ changed their minds I'm not aware of it. Even so, I see no reason not to upgrade to W10. Forget about W11 for now.
Thanks scarface.
Humbert: That 2020 EOL date is applicable to general consumers and small business who doesn't have paid volume licenses covering more than 1000 PCs plus Office, Visual Studio, PowerBI etc. Large corps find it difficult to move on to new version of the same including hardware devices and rollout to every PCs, laptops etc.
For those willing to pay huge extra sums for keeping existing devices supported for few more years which helps in careful migration strategies to newer OS and hardware being W11 and newer security policies will have fresh breath of life instead of producing more e-waste and dump working devices.
Through the Extended Security Update program some people used the same trick which allows home and other users of W7 enjoy updated Windows 7.

humbert

Vasu: While those corporations you mentioned can still download security updates for W7 directly from M$, I'm not too clear about how regular users do it. Based on what you explained you and I can't exactly get the updates directly from M$ servers.

Don't you hate it when M$ purposely makes important hardware updates available ONLY on newer versions of Windows (W11 in this case). I have a WiFi 6E router. I bought a desktop PCI WiFi 6E adapter to replace the LAN cable that's all over the floor. For me it's ideal: the distance to the router is about 3½ meters with a direct line of sight. Guess what? Wifi 6 worked, but not WiFi 6E. The reason? 6E support is only available on W11.  >:(  Since it's still too early to upgrade, I returned the device to Amazon.

scarface

Note that I downloaded windows 11 build 22621 which could be the RTM for windows 11 22H2. Then, maybe a new version of windows 11 with the usual apps and updates will be released soon.
Incredibly enough I tested this new version and after installing open-shell (to restore the classic Start Menu), explorer.exe stopped working altogether. Even after a reboot it wasn't possible to open a folder. Apparently, the previous versions were plagued by various bugs and crashes of explorer.exe.
I'm going to make another try but I will give up if it's acting up again.
For those who are using windows 7 or 10 (or something else), it might be important to be aware of those potential problems.

scarface

Note that I found out what was breaking the start menu in the latest Windows 11 release.

Apparently the regedit key to restore the classic right click menu is not working any more:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell\Update\Packages]
"UndockingDisabled"=dword:00000001

Instead, these new regedit keys should be used:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}]
@=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32]
@=""

The useless changes in the various versions of the windows OS are really annoying.
Note that I installed the classic Paint and added a shortcut in the right click menu too. Windows 11 22h2 should be available on the forum tomorrow.