• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Windows 7 Support

Started by Maher, June 26, 2011, 07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbert

Quote from: Fuj on July 09, 2014, 05:19 AM
Windows 7 does support GPT. 32-bit version can read/write to a GPT disk but can't boot from it. 64-bit version can. Also, how exactly is Win7 "ancient"?

I stand corrected. My face is red  :(

You know more about this than I do, so I'd like to clarify what I think was a point of confusion for me. All this noise about UEFI and GPT began with Windows 8 - prior to this nobody said anything. Is it possible to have GPT without a UEFI BIOS, or do these go hand in hand?

If you had a GPT board and Windows 7, is it the BIOS or Windows 7 that determines whether or not the partition is GPT or MBR? Or do you need a 3rd party app to create a GPT partition assuming the board supports it?

Vasudev

Quote from: Fuj on July 09, 2014, 05:19 AM
Windows 7 does support GPT. 32-bit version can read/write to a GPT disk but can't boot from it. 64-bit version can. Also, how exactly is Win7 "ancient"?
It is just like katana which can be used to slash opponents but it comes with a catch :you can only use it while its sheathed and if you unsheathe it will break into million pieces. 

akaubee

@sjhvbjhb28o93aujh

I can tell you a solution. That may be helpful to you.
You'll need a DVD and an pen drive.

You need to burn your copy of Ubuntu then while booting to your Ubuntu, insert your pen drive. Click on "Try Ubuntu". This will show you your partitions. copy all your work from your "Work" partition then paste it to your pen drive.

While booting to your Windows 7 setup, press Shift F10 to open command prompt. Type "DISKPART" then type "list disk". It will show you some drive. It will show you an asterisk on the disk below the "GPT". e.g: -

Disk ###| Status| Size| Free| Dyn| GPT

Disk 0| Online| 50gb| 11gb| |  *

Then type "select disk <Where it showed an asterisk>" e.g: "select disk 0". Then type "list partition" it will show you some partition.
e.g:

Partition ###|  Type| Size| Offset
Partition 1|  Primary| 39GB| 31kb
Partition 2| System| 71MB| 1kb

Type "select partition 1" then type "delete partition". Note: If you have more than one partition, do the same one more time. Then type "convert MBR". Now you can go to install your Windows.

sjhvbjhb28o93aujh

Thanks everyone for notice but akabee, I am downloading. I hve copied using ubuntu. Thxxx. Another time, I will install win7 because my cd is lost. I hve to search for it. :)

sjhvbjhb28o93aujh

Thanks everyone for your help.

Akabee, thanks for the solution. I will install Win7 Maher but my DVD is lost. I will search for it and use CMD to delete all partition and convert to MBR.

Fuj. I have 1GB DDR3 only, so I can't. I am using an Acer Aspire 1 (with akabee's Win 8.1& Office 2013), and an ASRock (With the Windows that cannot install on GPT).

akaubee

Hi @sjhvbjhb28o93aujh.

I am happy for your work and don't forget to convert it. You may delete all your partition and re-create it to convert. Good Luck!

Note: My name is akaubee (Akash) not akabee

humbert

Quote from: Fuj on July 10, 2014, 04:43 AM
I only know this because some friends asked me to install Win7 on their new laptops that came with Win8/GPT.
This will answer all your questions:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn640535(v=vs.85).aspx

I appreciate the link. As for your friend I realize we all have our tastes, but wanting to downgrade from W8 to W7 is beyond my comprehension. I've used both and W8 is superior in every way, at least in my tests.

humbert

The simple fact that something is newer doesn't mean it's better. I skipped Vista entirely, and I also skipped Office 2013. Why? I tested both and they either didn't work well or were set up in a way I didn't like - or both. By comparison, I played around with Windows 8 and 8.1 extensively I can tell you it's much better. Let me ask you this - before your friend downgraded to W7, did he at least test Windows 8 and come up with reasons why he prefers W7?

There is one thing I've been bumping into ever since the day I bought my first computer. People generally are resistant to upgrades and are comfortable with what they know, often thinking there is no better way. Add to this that many are simply too lazy to at least look at the new thing and learn it. The problem with this logic is that as technology advances, OS's get old and eventually become unusable. This means either upgrade now or upgrade later, but upgrade you will. e.g, who's still using DOS nowadays?

One of my favorite examples is Windows 8's start screen. It's clearly the best thing every made! I want Firefox? No problem, hit the Windows Key and click the tile! With the hateful start menu it's click Start, mouse up, then left, then right --  oooh missed - begin again. Not only that, but the start screen is highly configurable - you put the tiles you want and hide those you don't use - and arrange them any which way. I am firmly convinced that those who don't like the start screen don't understand it and won't bother to learn it.

humbert

I agree that the "Metro Interface" is for tablets and doesn't belong on PC's. In fact, the only metro apps I still haven't removed are News, Weather and Sports. I hardly use them anyway. I believe, however, that the start screen only as an app launcher is the best. What could be easier than simply hitting the Windows key and single-clicking a huge hard-to-miss tile? This not to mention the tiles can be resized and accomodated any way you want. Try doing that with the start menu. Sure, you can double-click on a desktop icon, but often that involves minimizing or removing what you're working on so you can see the icon.

Certainly Windows 7 is still good, but this not is the case for XP. XP makes sense if you're stuck with an old system that won't run W7 or W8. If not, it makes no sense to use it. I remember one idiot on this forum asked for advice on installing XP on a brand new i7-4790 with 16 GB ram. Is he out of his mind? Also: my rig has those blue USB 3.0 ports and I use them to boot a bunch of different things from flashdrives. Everything works perfectly until you get to Hiren's mini-XP. XP boots up but it doesn't see any of its apps. The problem is solved only by rebooting, this time using the much slower USB 2.0 slot. Clearly it doesn't support USB 3.0 - at least not the one on Hirens.

It could also be argued that if your system does what you want it to do, obsolence is a state of mind. Well... maybe so, but not completely. I remember a few years ago one guy still carried around one of those massive cell phones from the late 1980's. It was the size of a brick and weighted about 2 kg. He kept calling his telco insisting the phone worked for him and he didn't want to upgrade. He was told to forget it - those ancient analog phones were no longer supported - it was upgrade or die.

victor123

hello.Is there a torrent to download july 2014 release;