• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

Good comics (and books)

Started by scarface, September 05, 2014, 07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Today, a new comic book, titled "In Search of Lost Time" is available on the forum.

In search of Lost time was written by Marcel Proust. According to Graham Greene, "Proust was the greatest novelist of the twentieth century, just as Tolstoy was in the nineteenth".

With its sweeping digressions into the past and reflections on the nature of memory, Proust's oceanic novel In Search of Lost Time looms over twentieth-century literature as one of the greatest, yet most endlessly challenging literary experiences. Influencing writers like Virginia Woolf and James Joyce, and even anticipating Albert Einstein in its philosophical explorations of space and time, In Search of Lost Time is a monumental achievement and a virtual rite of passage for any serious lover of literature.

Personally, I find his most prominent novel "In search of Lost time", in seven volumes, almost unreadable due to its prolix narrative style.

In English
Link: https://mega.nz/folder/MUlG2YID#uYIOJ_n9WbB2a-fengqUaQ

scarface

Tonight, a new comic book is available for the users of the forum.
It is titled "The Art of Sushi".

Maybe some of you have eaten sushi. I guess it's probably not a common dish in the United States or in Palestine but it's pretty easy to find sushi restaurants in France. But do you really know what sushi is?
The author of this comic book traveled to Japan to meet all the players involved in the making of this true work of culinary art. From the traditional starred chef to the young cook who is shaking up the rules, including all the artisans and producers involved, this book covers the most emblematic of Japanese products from A to Z. A fascinating journey of discovery that, along the way, tells a lot about Japan itself.

Link: https://mega.nz/file/oYclHY4D#-4aFVERXVkbDS6aVi26gp1GeE4xz0OmZZwZ6Do-nzZE

humbert

Quote from: scarface on January 07, 2022, 09:44 PM
Maybe some of you have eaten sushi. I guess it's probably not a common dish in the United States or in Palestine but it's pretty easy to find sushi restaurants in France. But do you really know what sushi is?

I can't speak for Palestine but here in the USA you can get sushi anywhere. Most supermarkets sell it. I don't buy it more often because it's not exactly cheap. I just did a Google search and found no less than 20 sushi restaurants in San Antonio alone. Keep in mind this is a relative small city.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on January 08, 2022, 05:31 AM
Quote from: scarface on January 07, 2022, 09:44 PM
I just did a Google search and found no less than 20 sushi restaurants in San Antonio alone. Keep in mind this is a relative small city.
Actually, I was mistaken and it's not surprising to find Sushi restaurants in the United States, since the California Roll was invented in Los Angeles. However, are they offering real Sushi? With raw fish? I have serious doubts. If they drink a lot of Soda, Americans are not well known for being amateurs of exotic dishes (like snails, frog legs or stinky cheeses like the raclette). I guess those dishes hold no secret for Vasudev or shadow.97. But they are probably not common in the United States. That's why the California roll was invented by a master sushi chef in the 1970s, in an effort to entice Americans to try sushi. The “safer” looking roll contains no raw fish, and it still serves as an introduction to sushi in the US, which is probably less popular. In France you can find California rolls, but also makis (in a maki roll, the fish, vegetables or other ingredients are rolled up inside of seaweed), and sushis in many supermarkets and in a few restaurants.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on January 09, 2022, 06:25 PM
Actually, I was mistaken and it's not surprising to find Sushi restaurants in the United States, since the California Roll was invented in Los Angeles. However, are they offering real Sushi? With raw fish? I have serious doubts.

This reminds me of a situation that happened to me during a visit to Taipei, Taiwan. My host told me he was going to invite me to a Chinese restaurant that evening. What did I expect? Fried rice, egg drop soup, fortune cookies etc. What they served was NOTHING compared to "Chinese" restaurants here and elsewhere. The table is round and the center rotates so you can grab what you want. There were all kinds of strange things including a leg from an octopus that appeared to have been cut off moments ago. Fortunately when it comes to eating I'm a garbage disposal, i.e., I eat anything. The other guy who was with me actually went to the bathroom and vomited.

If indeed REAL sushi restaurants exist in the country at all, I think a good place to find them is in Japanese neighborhoods in places such as Los Angeles, San Francisco, and maybe New York. Not in Texas or anywhere near here.

scarface

Tonight, a new comic book, titled Animal Castle, is available on the forum.

This is a  tale about a farm where all animals were equal. In the Castle some are more equal than others. Yes, it is an "Animal Farm" like the one by George Orwell.

Link: Animal Castle

scarface

Tonight, a new comic book, titled Life of Che, and released in 2022 is available on the forum.

Originally released as part of a graphic biography series in January 1969, Life of Che came out in Argentina only a year after Ernesto "Che" Guevara had died and reached an audience beyond comics readers. In the 1970s, the military government raided its publisher, destroying the means to reprint the book. The comic was presumed to be lost to history, until a publisher in Spain restored it in 1987. It has never been translated into English until now.

Link: https://mega.nz/file/9Y8VgZJb#_mHy3gy_Ppiq9xXgnzkkwFRi-uUJkdGS2FrWxIfWXSQ

scarface

Tonight, a new comic book, titled Azimut, and released in 2022 is available on the forum.

This Crayon d'Or prize-winning graphic novel is an incredible fantasy tale, penned by the award-winning author of the acclaimed Valerian spin-off. Azimut features a host of quirky characters in a colourful fantasy world whose lives are turned upside down when the magnetic North pole simply disappears!

In English.
Link: https://mega.nz/file/8QMGSJrT#o6LfcIAxVFe1FrVVrR4VwkytMh4hXoUVuxbhVa3nZ8U

scarface

Today, a new comic book, titled "The Blood of the Immortals" and released in 2022 is available on the forum.

Storyline: An expedition arrives on the planet Verfebro in search of life's greatest ambition: immortality. What if the key to eternal life were only a few planetary systems away? A motley crew is sent to Verfebro in search of a mystifying elixir—one that runs through the veins of a ferocious local species: the Dracs. The members of the expedition will do anything to uncover the mysteries of life on this planet, no matter the cost.

Link: https://mega.nz/file/AIVUyLJZ#lLv11C-HIT2qk4tJx18qxpzD8OTQrb6RqpJEzp486GI

scarface

Today, 3 new comic books are available on the forum.

Below you will find the comics books "The invisible man", "The island of Dr Moreau", "The time machine".

Maybe some of you remember the movie "Hollow man", released in 2000 - I saw it at the cinema/at the movies when it was released (note that I don't use "movie theater" any more since it's outdated according to humbert). It was inspired by the novel "The Invisible Man" written in 1897.

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/8JciHSbC#B2btGm1o5DvnJTzS0KP5DA