• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

New topic Photos

Started by scarface, February 01, 2015, 05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Today, new photos are available on the forum.
These photos were taken in Aigues-Mortes 2 days ago.

Aigues-Mortes means 'Dead Waters'. The medieval city walls surrounding the city are well preserved. Gaius Marius, a Roman general and statesman, is said to have founded the city around 102 BCE, but there is no documentary evidence to verify this. In 791, Charlemagne erected the Matafère tower amid the swamps for the safety of fishermen and salt workers. Louis IX built the Constance Tower on the site of the old Matafère Tower to house the garrison. In 1272, his son and successor, Philip III the Bold, ordered the continuation of the construction of walls to completely encircle the small town. The work would not be completed for another 30 years.

The town's ramparts stretch a full 1.6 kilometres (1 mile) in an odd-shaped quadrangle, punctuated by ten entry gates and six defensive towers. The fortified walls protected the old village and the Gothic (1183 AD). Today without the fear of brutal enemy attacks, holiday residences, hotels, restaurants, boutiques and galleries fill the interior of the ramparts.
As the Rhône's waters wash into the Mediterranean, the river dumps some 20 million cubic meters of silt a year in the area.

Here, on Saint Louis square, opposite the main entrance of the Porte de la Gardette, stands the statue of Saint-Louis.

Note that new programs will be uploaded on the forum next week.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on April 20, 2021, 02:15 AM
White dunes as far as the eye can see, a wild and unspoiled nature, the Mediterranean for only horizon, here is the beach of Espiguette. Jewel of the Camargue Gardoise, this spectacular immensity of sand, where dunes and coastline have been particularly preserved, is one of the largest beaches in the north of the Mediterranean Basin. Located south of Port-Camargue and Grau du Roi, half an hour from Montpellier, it unfolds like a desert, its 10 km of dunes and beach over no less than 700 m wide and is renowned for the quality of its bathing waters.

Any idea what the aproximate temperature of that water is? Naturally I refer to the summer months when bathing is possible. I'm not seeing any bathers in your pic so I'm assuming it's still too cold.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on May 02, 2021, 04:52 AM
Quote from: scarface on April 20, 2021, 02:15 AMWhite dunes as far as the eye can see, a wild and unspoiled nature, the Mediterranean for only horizon, here is the beach of Espiguette. Jewel of the Camargue Gardoise, this spectacular immensity of sand, where dunes and coastline have been particularly preserved, is one of the largest beaches in the north of the Mediterranean Basin. Located south of Port-Camargue and Grau du Roi, half an hour from Montpellier, it unfolds like a desert, its 10 km of dunes and beach over no less than 700 m wide and is renowned for the quality of its bathing waters.

Any idea what the aproximate temperature of that water is? Naturally I refer to the summer months when bathing is possible. I'm not seeing any bathers in your pic so I'm assuming it's still too cold.
Currently, there is an air temperature of 12 °C and a sea temperature of 15 °C. During summer, sea temperature can reach 25 °C.

scarface

Tonight, new photos are available on the forum.

Here you can see the viaduct of Millau.
This is a multi-span cable-stayed bridge across the gorge valley of the Tarn near Millau in Southern France. It is the tallest bridge in the world, having a structural height of 336.4 metres.

Here are some pictures taken on the Espiguette Beach.

scarface

Late in the evening, I decided to take a walk in the marina of Port Camargue.
I took a few photos with some beautiful boats.

scarface

Tonight, some exceptional photos are available on the forum.
They were taken today in Port Camargue.

Here are some beautiful boats, in the marina of Port Camargue.

A sailing catamaran like this costs roughly 600 000 €. I'd be glad to sail with humbert, shadow.97 or aa1234779 if they want to buy such a boat.

For some of you, those palm trees are certainly reminiscent of the lush vegetation of Florida or India.

Here we are in the shipyard.

In the local market of Port Camargue.
On the right there is a boucherie. They are selling some good jambon.

This shop specializes in local cuisine, with dishes based on seafood.

On the right you can see a "fromagerie" (cheese shop).

Here are some locals playing pétanque. This famous game is essentially played across France. I guess humbert, Maher and Vasudev don't know this game.
In pétanque the objective is to score points by having boules closer to the target than the opponent after all boules have been thrown. This is achieved by throwing or rolling boules closer to the small target ball, known colloquially as a cochonnet, or by hitting the opponents' boules away from the target, while standing inside a circle with both feet on the ground. Note that the word cochonnet also means young pig in French.
Oddly enough, the second country with the largest number of members playing pétanque is Thailand.

Here you can see a small beach, with the town of La Grande Motte in the background. I've been coming to Port Camargue and Le grau du roi for more than 30 years now, so I know this place pretty well. I don't really like la Grande Motte though. while Le Grau du roi is still well preserved despite a large number of tourists during summer, the pyramid-shaped buildings and the numerous tourists on the beach are the symbol of mass tourism which triumphed in the 1980s in la Grande Motte. The identity of La Grande-Motte is inspired by the Mayan pyramids and are the result of a titanic project, started in 1965 and which lasted about fifteen years. This concreteization of the Mediterranean coast was orchestrated by the architect Jean Balladur.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on May 14, 2021, 03:30 AM
A sailing catamaran like this costs roughly 600 000 â,¬. I'd be glad to sail with humbert, shadow.97 or aa1234779 if they want to buy such a boat.

I looked at Port Carmargue's location on Google Maps. If we did take a sailboat out from there, where would we go? Corsica, Sardinia, Palma, Ibiza or somewhere else? What do we do when we get there? I do know I have to carry large amounts of Dramamine, I get seasick very easily.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on May 14, 2021, 05:02 AM
Quote from: scarface on May 14, 2021, 03:30 AM
A sailing catamaran like this costs roughly 600 000 â,¬. I'd be glad to sail with humbert, shadow.97 or aa1234779 if they want to buy such a boat.

I looked at Port Carmargue's location on Google Maps. If we did take a sailboat out from there, where would we go? Corsica, Sardinia, Palma, Ibiza or somewhere else? What do we do when we get there? I do know I have to carry large amounts of Dramamine, I get seasick very easily.
Actually, it depends on the size of the boat. With a small motor boat, you can only fish off the coast. With a catamaran like this one, you could easily go to Corsica, Naples, or even Greece, assuming you are a good skipper.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to show you a beautiful fish.
Look at the photo below.
I'm going to let you guess what kind of fish it is. Maybe Maher, shadow.97, aa1234779 or humbert already have the answer.
When I was young, I used to go fishing off the coast of Le Grau du roi with my father and sometimes we could catch fish like this one. They were usually bigger.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on May 14, 2021, 07:59 PM
Actually, it depends on the size of the boat. With a small motor boat, you can only fish off the coast. With a catamaran like this one, you could easily go to Corsica, Naples, or even Greece, assuming you are a good skipper.

Have you ever been on this boat or similar on a trip to any of these places you mentioned?

Another thing. Corsica is a French island so it makes sense a boat flying the French tricolor could easily dock there. But what about ports in Italy and Greece? I'd guess the coast guard of those countries would stop the boat and ask for documentation. Right?