Author Topic: What kind of meat (or cheese) is it?  (Read 21185 times)

September 23, 2020, 02:38 PM
Reply #130
  • Global Moderator
Tonight, I'm going to present another recipe.

Look at the photo below.
You can see some rice with turmeric, some spinach, and a nice claret. What about the meat? Maybe you have never such a big sausage and you must be wondering if it is a saucisson.
Actually, This is not a saucisson but half a Morteau sausage, a traditional smoked sausage from the Franche-Comté region. It takes its name from the city of Morteau in the Doubs department. It is smoked in traditional pyramidal chimneys, called "tuyés".

October 11, 2020, 07:06 AM
Reply #131
  • Global Moderator
Today, I'm going to present another cheese. Look closely at the photo below.

What you see here is a piece of camembert.
Camembert cheese is French in origin, but it is also made in other European countries and the United States. It is made from cow's milk and when produced, it has a pale yellow color, a soft white rind, and a creamy texture. The flavor of Camembert Cheese is distinctive and slightly fruity and has an aroma similar to mushrooms. It is sold in small disc shapes and is used exclusively as a table cheese.
The camembert is an exceptional cheese since its moldy rind is one of nature's greatest living surfaces, doing double duty as a shield and a cleaner. The rind allows the cheese's deep flavor and aroma to mature, but also defends it against microorganisms that could spoil it. The cheese repays the fungi on the rind by supplying it with nutrients.

The wine amateurs of the forum have certainly noticed the bottle of Bordeaux. Maybe you appreciate the best clarets. Speaking of clarets, Wines from the côtes like Château Ausone are expected to be more full-bodied and the wines from the graves like Château Cheval Blanc, finer and richer. Actually, this claret is not a Saint-Emilion and it is not a good wine either.
This bottle costs 2 euros but it's enough to give the taste of the camembert a little boost.

October 12, 2020, 06:28 AM
Reply #132
Tonight, I'm going to present another recipe.

Look at the photo below.
You can see some rice with turmeric, some spinach, and a nice claret. What about the meat? Maybe you have never such a big sausage and you must be wondering if it is a saucisson.
Actually, This is not a saucisson but half a Morteau sausage, a traditional smoked sausage from the Franche-Comté region. It takes its name from the city of Morteau in the Doubs department. It is smoked in traditional pyramidal chimneys, called "tuyés".

This looks very good, I love spinach. But would probably skip the sausage.

October 12, 2020, 06:29 AM
Reply #133
First and foremost, allow your steak to thaw to room temperature about an hour prior to cooking. Grilling it when it is cold prevents the heat from reaching the middle effectively.

I recommend you all to do this when you boil eggs as well. Or 10~15min in luke warm water.

October 12, 2020, 09:38 PM
Reply #134
  • Global Moderator
I recommend you all to do this when you boil eggs as well. Or 10~15min in luke warm water.

I'm curious. You live alone in a rented apartment in Dublin, right? If so, do you cook your own food or just buy stuff you can quickly microwave -- or both?

October 13, 2020, 08:03 PM
Reply #135

I'm curious. You live alone in a rented apartment in Dublin, right? If so, do you cook your own food or just buy stuff you can quickly microwave -- or both?

I live in a shared house.
It is wayy too expensive for an own appartment in Dublin.
Acceptable 1 room'ers start at €1400.
I pay 650 for 1 room in a shared house of 3 people. The other two are a married couple.  This place has a much higher standard than what you'd get for a 1 bedroom €1400 place.

October 14, 2020, 09:58 PM
Reply #136
  • Global Moderator
I live in a shared house.
It is wayy too expensive for an own appartment in Dublin.
Acceptable 1 room'ers start at €1400.

Unbelievable! Here you could rent a whole house for that price. There must not be many apartments available for rent. If there were then market economics would stablize the price.

I pay 650 for 1 room in a shared house of 3 people. The other two are a married couple.  This place has a much higher standard than what you'd get for a 1 bedroom €1400 place.

Do they provide a WiFi internet connection as part of the deal, or do you have to buy that separately?

What about meals? Does everyone use the kitchen separately to prepare food?

And (pardon the question but I'm curious), if you found a sexy babe and wanted to do the deed, could you do it there or would you have to either use her place or rent out a motel room? The question is mostly because, as far as I know, Ireland is a brutally Catholic country where this frowned upon. True?

The married couple - are they Irish?

October 16, 2020, 11:14 PM
Reply #137
The married couple - are they Irish?
Yes

Ireland is a brutally Catholic country where this frowned upon. True?
I havn't seen a single hint of religion in this house

What about meals? Does everyone use the kitchen separately to prepare food?
kind of, sometimes we share spaces. I usually dont need much space in the kitchen. The lady in the house cooks for her husband, the only time that is really hard to cook is sunday. Because they do big sunday roasts that cover the entire stove top.
I usually just make some rice or boil a few eggs or something.
We also don't have the same food-pattern, they eat later than I do.

And (pardon the question but I'm curious), if you found a sexy babe and wanted to do the deed, could you do it there or would you have to either use her place or rent out a motel room? The question is mostly because, as far as I know, Ireland is a brutally Catholic country where this frowned upon. True?
We could probably do the deed in my room, but I'd likely move in with someone before I had sex with someone. Unless it's at their place. I don't feel like hosting One nighters.
Irish people are in my experience not very attractive in the way they act, dress, talk, or look.
About Ireland being brutally catholic. It is true, but at the same time, they're still civilized about it in general. The amount of religious people here decreased drastically after all the sex scandals surrounding the church. Here, have a wikipedia article about it :P https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_sexual_abuse_cases_in_Ireland

Do they provide a WiFi internet connection as part of the deal, or do you have to buy that separately?
They provide a port on the router, and wifi password. I wish I could have my own, that way I could have faster speeds. I've been pestering them about increasing the speed from 80/20. They download a whole lot of stuff, so they eat up all the speed and make the net unusable some evenings.
I ended up buying a new simcard for my phone, so i could share that while they hog the network.

October 17, 2020, 09:15 PM
Reply #138
  • Global Moderator
We could probably do the deed in my room, but I'd likely move in with someone before I had sex with someone. Unless it's at their place. I don't feel like hosting One nighters.

Thanks for the reply. My question was so much about your personal preferences. It was about whether or not you (or anyone) would be allowed to bring someone into your room. I'm thinking when you rented the place, they might have warned you not to do that. Apparently not.

Irish people are in my experience not very attractive in the way they act, dress, talk, or look.
About Ireland being brutally catholic. It is true, but at the same time, they're still civilized about it in general. The amount of religious people here decreased drastically after all the sex scandals surrounding the church. Here, have a wikipedia article about it :P https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_sexual_abuse_cases_in_Ireland

Thanks for the article. Quite a bit of the information I had was outdated - the church no longer has the stranglehold it used to have. And, as you imply, if there is mutual respect then nothing else matters.

Curious about something else. Language. Do they speak mostly Gaelic or English? Have you had a language problem assuming you don't speak Gaelic?

They provide a port on the router, and wifi password. I wish I could have my own, that way I could have faster speeds. I've been pestering them about increasing the speed from 80/20. They download a whole lot of stuff, so they eat up all the speed and make the net unusable some evenings.I ended up buying a new simcard for my phone, so i could share that while they hog the network.

There's something I don't understand. First, when you say 80/20 I'm assuming you mean 80Mbps down and 20Mbps up. The Netflix app on my Samsung TV can tell you the bitrate. 4K/HDR (2160p) does about 15Mbps, regular HD (1080p) is about 5.5Mbps. According to this, if all 3 tenants were streaming 4K at the same time, you're talking slightly over half the bandwidth they provide, all else being equal. Could it be they're using an old router that doesn't even support Wifi5 (802.11ac)? I'm missing something here.

October 18, 2020, 02:12 PM
Reply #139
  • Global Moderator
Tonight, I'm going to present another dish.
First and foremost, try to identify the various elements.
There is a piece of bread, a lump of cheese and a fruit.
This time, there is no meat. In a previous message, we have seen that shadow.97 was not a fan of Morteau sausages, a traditional smoked sausage made with pure pork, but he might know this famous cheese.
There is also a bottle of Crozes Hermitage. This is an adaptable red wine which pairs well with lots of different types of cheeses.
I assume that Maher and aa1234779 guessed that it was goat cheese on the photo.  Note that the French name for this cheese is "Bûche de chèvre".

« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 02:14 PM by scarface »