• Welcome to Maher's Digital World.

What kind of meat (or cheese) is it?

Started by scarface, October 11, 2015, 07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarface

Quote from: humbert on November 04, 2020, 06:20 AM
Quote from: scarface on November 02, 2020, 09:20 PM
I know that humbert has been to the number 140 of the champs Elysées. At the mcdonald's, you need at least 2â,¬ for the burger and 1.90â,¬ for the small fries (see below)

I'm not really a fan of fast food. I only ate there because we were hungry and were looking for a quick meal. In all honestly I think that was the last time I ate something at McDonalds. I wouldn't even know where to begin to compare prices for for the items you mentioned. Maybe it's higher or lower in different markets.
If you needed a quick and cheap place to eat, I think that the mcdonald's of the champs Elysées was the right place to go, indeed. And their products are not that bad.
I found the chart above in a newspaper. It shows that prices vary according to the location of the restaurant. It's outdated: I've been at the mcdo of the champs Elysées this summer, and the tiny burger cost 2â,¬.

scarface

Quote from: humbert on November 01, 2020, 03:30 AM
Do you cook all this food yourself? Does it take long to do that?
humbert asked us a few days ago if I was preparing all this food myself. I'm answering this question a second time.
As far as the boudin is concerned, of course I'm not breeding pigs in the Hauts-de-Seine, (and I never killed a pig). I just had to warm it up.
Tonight, I will present a new recipe and I will show you the different steps, because it's healthier to eat fresh and healthy food.

I remember I watched a documentary a few years ago and they showed that in some areas of the US the people are obese because they are eating only ultra processed products like crisps. Some of them didn't know what a tomato is. But you can find these problems in many countries. Saudi Arabia for instance has become increasingly westernized over the past few decades. It now has one of the highest prevalence rates of overweight and obesity, even in children. Competing cultures is partly to blame, as the combination of persisting traditional Saudi cultural practices, modern cultural changes, and economic prosperity has created an obesogenic environment that promotes unhealthy eating, sedentary lifestyles, and weight gain.

humbert

Quote from: scarface on November 06, 2020, 04:04 PM
humbert asked us a few days ago if I was preparing all this food myself. I'm answering this question a second time.

I still don't know what the answer is. Do you buy food at the market and cook it yourself, or do you buy pre-cooked food and warm it up in the microwave, as I mostly do?

Quote from: scarface on November 06, 2020, 04:04 PM
If you needed a quick and cheap place to eat, I think that the mcdonald's of the champs Elysées was the right place to go, indeed. And their products are not that bad.

Unless I'm mistaken McDonald's food is the same regardless of where the restaurant is located. There are probably some small differences in the food served based on the country's preference. In any event, when you're hungry I guess just about anything will do.

scarface

Tonight, I'm going to present another recipe on the forum.
Look at the photo below and try to identify the main ingredients.
shadow.97, humbert and aa1234779 must be bewildered: what is this blackish beverage?

Well, I'm sure you have identified the vegetables: peas and carrots (petits pois et carottes in French). As for the meat, this is a pork sausage. It's not a Morteau sausage, which would be bigger. This one is called "sausage of Toulouse".

As for the Beverage, you must be thinking that it looks like a famous black soda. Unfortunately, its sweet flavor would ruin the taste of the sausage. What if it was the blackest wine you can find. I guess some users of the forum already know this wine, which is called Cahors.

Cahors red wines are reputedly the darkest in the world; they are also some of the strongest and richest and will keep for years. Cahors has a fascinating but somewhat turbulent history; the vineyards were amongst the first planted in France by the Roman Emperors, more than two thousand years ago and they were an immediate hit. However as the Empire grew it became abundantly clear that production of wheat would need to be stepped up in order to feed the growing masses. France was to be the breadbasket of the Roman Empire and the vines, splendid though they were, would have to go. In the third century one of the more discerning Emperors, Probus, decided that enough was enough and the time had come to reinstate the delicious red wine. He is still a much-celebrated figure in winemaking circles today and one of the distinguished Chateaux of the region has a rather splendid red wine named Prince Probus in his honour.
The great renaissance of Cahors red wine had begun and it was to become one of the most sought after French wines. The Russian Tsars loved it. Peter the Great insisted that the tannic content cured his ulcer and helped his delicate stomach… The Roman Emperors also renewed their interest and even the clergy became alerted to the possibility of a quick, stiff tipple in the communion cup.
Cahors wines are not only the darkest; they are also one of the strongest red wines available. Pope John XXII, a Cahors man, born and bred did much to promote this revival in the fourteenth century and the nearby port of Bordeaux began to take an equally healthy interest.
The Quercy region of France is a land of extreme weather conditions. Summers are very hot and dry, winters are cold and dry, and they can be very cold indeed. In 1956 Mother Nature decided to remind us of this salient fact. The big freeze in February of that fateful year was so bad and so long that once again the vines were virtually wiped out. The only known vineyards to survive are at Clos de Gamot near Prayssac.
The staunch peasants of the region once more set about replanting their vineyards. They used the strong tannic Auxerrois grape as the backbone of their wine, sometimes mixed with a little Merlot or Tannat for more fruity modern tastes. They liked their red wines strong and dark, and they weren’t in the least bothered about unnecessary fripperies like bouquet and fruity flavour.
The French government thought otherwise and in 1971 decided to recognize this black jewel in their non-existent crown by awarding the region AOC status, since then there has been no looking back. There are still only 4,000 hectares laid to vine in the area permitted by AOC standards, which makes Cahors a comparatively rare French wine and is probably why it’s so difficult to find in British shops. The quality however is without doubt the very highest. It still graces the finest restaurant tables and dining rooms in the world.

The harvest in Parnac.

aa1234779

I peeked in yesterday and guessed it would be wine, but did not know that it's the darkest in color. Must be bitter too.
Allah knows best.  :)
Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) said “Surah (chapter of) Hud and its sisters turned my hair gray"

Hud (11)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiqxo4UDVfU

scarface

Quote from: aa1234779 on November 19, 2020, 04:23 AM
I peeked in yesterday and guessed it would be wine, but did not know that it's the darkest in color. Must be bitter too.
Allah knows best.  :)
Well it's 4 am here and I don't sleep, so here is my answer.
The Cahors wine is slightly darker than other wines indeed but we don't see it very clearly on a photo. But Cahors wines are not bitter.
Should there by any bitterness in this wine, it would have ruined the taste of the dish. Can you imagine eating a sausage of Toulouse with a piquette (a mediocre wine)? No you don't (In colloquial language, the French word piquette is derived from the verb "piquer" which means "to sting").

If you are a true wine connoisseur, you certainly prefer Bordeaux wines, they are better known abroad, and it's not easy to pronounce Cahors (maybe you don't know that it is a town).
Those wines are pretty cheap, but for that price they are pretty good.
Here you can find an article about Cahors wines (in French): https://avis-vin.lefigaro.fr/magazine-vin/o120843-cahors-le-vin-noir-n-a-plus-a-rougir
If you want to know the price of this wine, the 75cl bottle of this Cahors wine cost 4 or 5â,¬ I think. Of course I prefer to drink some full-bodied Cotes-du-Rhône like a bottle of Crozes-Hermitage (between 12â,¬ and 20â,¬ per bottle), or a bottle of Chateauneuf-du-Pape (at least 15-20â,¬ per bottle).

scarface

Today, I'm going to present the different steps to prepare a gratin dauphinois.
If humbert, Vasudev, usman or shadow.97 want to impress their guests, the gratin dauphinois is unquestionably a dish that will meet the expectations of the finest connoisseurs.

First and foremost you need some fresh potatoes. For 50 cents of euros, here are some magnificent potatoes.
You can also see some pink radishes. They are are generally eaten as is, with a bit of salt or butter. Served as a starter, they are an ideal appetite suppressant and help limit calories in a meal.

You need to peel and slice the potatoes. Place them in a baking pan and add some crème fraîche.

Then bake the potatoes for 30 minutes at 230 degrees. The gratin dauphinois is ready.

scarface

Today, I'm going to present another recipe.

First and foremost, I'm going to answer humbert who wanted to know if I was "buying food at the market and cooking it, or  buying pre-cooked food and warming it up in the microwave, as he mostly does".
Sometimes I use canned food. For example you can find ready to eat gratins dauphinois, with some peeled ans sliced potatoes. But they are not as good as a home-cooked meal. That's why I prefer to cook.
What's more, many canned foods contain high amounts of sodium to mask any change in taste that comes with age and the heating process, and it's unhealthy.

Look at the photos below.
You can see fresh radishes, 2 potatoes and a black boudin. The potatoes and the boudin were cooked in the oven. The potatoes seem but the boudin exploded during cooking.

Shadow.97

Quote from: scarface on December 05, 2020, 08:31 AM
Today, I'm going to present another recipe.

First and foremost, I'm going to answer humbert who wanted to know if I was "buying food at the market and cooking it, or  buying pre-cooked food and warming it up in the microwave, as he mostly does".
Sometimes I use canned food. For example you can find ready to eat gratins dauphinois, with some peeled ans sliced potatoes. But they are not as good as a home-cooked meal. That's why I prefer to cook.
What's more, many canned foods contain high amounts of sodium to mask any change in taste that comes with age and the heating process, and it's unhealthy.

Look at the photos below.
You can see fresh radishes, 2 potatoes and a black boudin. The potatoes and the boudin were cooked in the oven. The potatoes seem but the boudin exploded during cooking.

That looks a lot like the blood sausages they have here. Not even sure what they call them. Looks like something tasty though.

scarface

Today, I'm going to talk about breakfast.
Starting with a balanced breakfast every morning is very important indeed.
Look at the photo below.
You can see a croissant, a cup of coffee and a kiwi.